Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Loose peg
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  04:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My old Kamaka has string pegs (not tie-on bridge) and the top peg is getting loose. When I tighten up the string, eventually the peg shoots out like bullet. I'm pretty sure that it's either a loose hole--it wobbles a bit in the hole--or the hole is too dried or smooth for the peg to grip.
Does anyone have a solution for this before I have to have a luthier build a new bridge?
Jesse Tinsley

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  04:23:18 AM  Show Profile
In the past, when that has happened to me, I have wrapped the peg with teflon tape - the white kind plumbers use for sealing. Worked well and won't damage any wood. You will have to experiment to see how many wraps you need. Ripping the tape off and pressing it down will seal it to itself.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  07:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
The old time solution? Stick the pin in your mouth for a minute to get it wet. It'll swell the wood enough to hold.

Keeping your instrument at the proper humidity will help, to. Get a dampit, or something similar.

In any event, replacing the pin is a heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the bridge.

Edited by - Mark on 10/25/2006 07:25:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I finally solved this problem by coating the peg with rosin, the same used for my violin bow, then tying the biggest knot I could. I couldn't find my plumbers tape to try Reid's idea and I plan to get the uke to a damper environment as well. Thanks.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000