Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Mele pana tours of Hawai`i
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  04:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha! My husband, Paul, and I will be visiting Hawai`i once again in February. We have not yet decided where to go or where to stay, but I think this year I want to do a music tour of Hawai`i. One of the ideas I have had is to see the places talked about in the mele. There are obvious good reasons why all those beautiful and magical places are talked about in the songs. I would like to see Waipi`o, Hi`ilawe, Akaka Falls, Ulupalakua, Makapu`u, Papakolea, etc.

Would the group be kind enough to share ideas with us? Needless to say, we will also seek out live music to listen to, as well.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  06:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Wanda,

That's exactly what Sarah and I did several years back on the BI. We described it in a thread that I think is in the archives. Briefly, we stayed about a week in South Kona, 3 days in a house on the lip of Waipi`o (and on the Hamakua Coast) and a week and a half in a house in Hilo. We used these as bases of of operations to tour nearly every place on the BI named in song, story and legend. (And we went to Merrie Monarch, too.) The BI is about the size of CT, so it was pretty easy to do without rushing it - we felt it was really important to observe closely and soak it all in, and on foot, too, not screaming by in a car.

At other times, we did the same on Oahu and, many times on Maui.

You will really enjoy and be moved by such a trip.

Get the UH Press maps of each Island by James A. Bier for detailed planning.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Certa,

Are you hikers? It is a tough call between the Big Island and Kauai. I would scope out some hikes, Big Island or Kauai revealed by wizard publications, very good references for this as you may already know. Or? Or? Forget hiking, lay on a lounge chair when no moon is out on any beach that is not flooded with hotel lights. So many places on any island that will communicate the emotion you find in these songs. I have a laundry list on both the Big Island and Kauai. For me though, I feel what I think these artists are singing about when I am hiking in near solitude. The landscape just grips you and there is no getting around it LOL.
http://www.kauaidigital.com/tour/index.htmv (nice slack key while you look at panoramics of any island).

For me, these places also take on a special type of reverence with a greater understanding of the past. I try to add to reading every year and some of it is dry but if you are interested, I have some ideas. I also do a lot of film watching when I can get my hands on something, Words Earth and Aloha, a film by Eddie Kamae will inspire your travels if you have not seen? www.hawaiianlegacy.com . He does a very good job of showing the relationship between the land and the music.

Musical journey? Internet search, I would look up where everyone is playing, for me I would be heading to Oahu Chai's island bistro at least once, Jerry Santos at the Hilton (regular stop for me), Genoa Keawe at the Marriott (just learned about this), Dennis Kamakahi where ever I could find him LOL. I also think I would want to plan to see Keali Reichel if I could. That is just my take. Merrie Monarch is another excellent idea but ask others how crowded that makes the island if that is an issue for you. http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/main/cover.html (ask others if they have been) > there is a forum here too where you could post this very same question.

Let us know how you make out,

Ginny
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha E Ginny - You have offered some wonderful suggestions. My husband and I are old and decrepit, and not in so good shape for hiking to any extent. I have both CDs from Eddie Kamae -- Earth, Words and Aloha and Sons of Hawaii. I would really like to find the other ones as well, but no can find. I did contact Myrna Kamae (what a gracious lady) and also sent a donation to the Hawaiian Legacy Foundation in order to help finance Eddie's wonderful films. On Oahua, we did go to Chais and had not only the best restaurant dinner I have ever had in my life (ooh boy, those giant tiger prawns!), but we got to see the Bros. Cazimero. We talked to Roland a bit after the show and he was kind enough to have a picture taken with my hubby (the look like twins almost). We stayed at the Aston Waikiki and playing at the Tiki Lounge during breakfast was Na Kama (we were fortunate to buy their CDs). When we visited the other islands, we were on cruises, yet tried to see some of the places in songs -- Haleakala, Waimea Canyon, Hanalei, Hana, Poipu. We wanted to go to Koke`e when we went to Waimea Canyon, but our tour did not go there. We have had wonderful tour guides everywhere we went, who really loved telling you about the `aina and the history and the legends. One tour guide loved music and sang Aloha `Oe to us while he was driving the bus. I really want to see Hi`ilawe, but from what I have read, that is one major hike, even for folks in good shape. But, now after we have bought Rabbit Island Music Festival, it now is more than just a beautiful island off the windward side of the island. (And Uncle Cyril plays the banjo -- just like my hubby).
I do want more out of our trip that just sittiing on a bus and watching the landscape go by. I want to see the busts of Gabby and Iz. And I sure want to go to Honey's.

Thanks for the insights.
Mahalo.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, the trip into Waipi`o can be made in lots of ways. Sarah and I walked down the road and into and out of the valley, but you can take a horse drawn wagon ride, or a jeep tour. I don't know how the earthquake affected it, but I'll bet it is fixed fast because jobs depend on it. This was one of the most emotionally affecting visits of all the times we spent on any island. There is some *major* mana there. Don't be afraid of it.

Akaka Falls is also gorgeous and easily walked on well paved paths.

Many other notable places can be easily seen without demanding physical effort.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000