Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Favorite Sizes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  6:55:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the process of researching a new uke purchase. I have the opportunity to buy a near-perfect Martin Tenor but I'm not wild yet about its quiet sound. I thinking about possibly a Koaloha concert or a Kamaka concert or tenor. I think I'm going to rule sopranos and baritones out. You folks have any recommendations?

Mahalo,

Pops

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  01:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e pops,

ya gotta play them all and see how they fit your hands. the only drawback is, it's hard to stop looking and there are so many that will fit your hands...

i like a tenor the best, because it's still possible to streeeetch that pinky way down (unlike a baritone) but it's big enough that i can play
up easily around fret 9. a friend of mine, george hoshide, likes to play
baritone (tuned like a soprano) because he likes to go up the neck farther
than i do even.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
pops, i like the gibson tenor, especially the TU-1 made in the 1950s. these tend to be considerably louder than martin tenors. another nice thing about the gibby tenor is its size -- in overall length (about 25") it falls between the martin tenor and concert sizes, but with a full tenor scale length. they look cool, are featherlight, and are much more rare than martin tenors. (not that rarity has anything to do with the playing quality.)

i have one for sale on the marketplace at fleamarketmusic.com, if you're interested.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  5:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Pops,

Decisions, decisions, this is how so many of us get into trouble with our spouses. With so many great sounding ukes all with their own unique voices which are perfect for playing a particular style/song, this is how we end up collecting ukes (I'm only up to 13). All preaching aside, most people I know tend to prefer tenors due to the richness/volume of sound. Also, if you play melody a lot, strining up with a low G helps a lot. As with anything though, it's a matter of personal taste. Myself, I play a Tony Graziano Spruce Top/Cypress body combination which gives me a good bright sound (plenty of volume). Also, string choice can affect the sound as well. I'm trying out those new nylgut strings and they seem to be a combination of good soft touch with a rather significant increase in the volume! I really recommend trying them out. However, depending upon how much volume/low end I need, I also play soprano and Tenor guitar as well.

Didn't mean to ramble on (ah heck, yes I did, I never get a chance to go on like this, the wife get's bored).

Aloha and good luck,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  01:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
Aloha!
Here's my $.02:
For fingerstyle playing, a four string concert or tenor... for a brighter sound, choose koa or other especially bright wood.
For rhythm playing, any uke is nice... my personal favorite is 6 string tenor... and I just like the sound of the Kamaka... it is brighter than most Martins. I love my little soprano Kamaka too... a great tone!!

E Ola Mau Ki Ho'alu
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to echo Sandy's $.02. There's something special about a 6 string Lili`u and Kamaka makes a great one. Also check out their 8 string uke.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I just came across the Kanile'a 'Ukulele web site and their instruments look very nice. Anyone ever play one? I'm also interested in the Koaloha concert model. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  10:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I've played a few Kanile`a ukuleles, but I'm not much of a judge. I've only been fooling with ukuleles since my trip to O`ahu last June. On that visit we checked out several builders, and wanted to buy one of each. We did get a Ko`olau tenor, the base model, and I ordered a Kanile`a super concert (concert body, tenor scale).

My philosophy of luthier built instruments is "pay for sound, not for looks" so both the Ko`olau and the Kanile`a are unadorned. My beloved is not so restrained, however, and when we found Andy Berard on the Big Island, and saw of some of his decorative touches, she ordered her personal ukulele - a full boat koa/spruce tenor, which is in transit as we type.

If you like a full, warm sound from your uke, I can recommend the Ko`olau. Even the bottom of the line model we bought is very nicely made and sounds and plays great.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  5:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

I'm interested in the Kanile`a super concert that you've ordered. Did you received it yet, and if so, how do you like it?

Mahalo,

Pops
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  9:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hi, Pops,

No, it's not due until June, although they suggested that they usually beat their delivery estimates. The ukes I played at the shop were wonderful, both in tone and playability, based on my very limited experience.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  10:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks,Fran!

One more..what did you think of the craftsmanship?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  2:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all, I think I mentioned this before, but one thing you should consider when you look at sizes are your physical limitations if you have any. For instance, I know one lady who bought a concert but had difficulty playing it because she had arthritis. She sold me hers and then bought a tenor. If you are a large person and have big meaty hands it may be difficult to play a small soprano, however, you would probably look really cute with this eensy teensy uke. I am lucky in that I can play the small sizes but have some trouble playing my 6 string tenor because it takes more strength to push down all those strings.

And we ladies have additional considerations with those bumps that may interfere with holding a uke comfortably. Some ukes fit better than others, especially when you are standing upright, as during a performance. Maybe someone should design an ukulele with a cut-away at the top? It's all a matter of trial and error, I guess. Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000