Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 'Spotted John and Hope Keawe at Kona airport...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I know this sounds rather like I'm a stalker, but I was thrilled yesterday to spot John and Hope Keawe on the same plane as we left for Honolulu from the Kona airport. I didn't approach them (I thought it might seem tacky!) but I wished the flight had been delayed and hoped he would play in the boarding area (well, I can always hope, huh?).

Frankly, I didn't recognize John at first--I was strumming my ukulele quietly and watching the others in the boarding area and noted this absolutely lovely woman who moved so gracefully and with such confidence that I *knew* she must be someone very special. Then I saw her sit down by John, with his guitar as carry-on, and I figured out who they were.

And they weren't flying first class!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  03:07:25 AM  Show Profile
John and Hope would have appreciated your kind comments and support. They are both very very nice people. I went to a concert of his in Del Mar California and was one of three people (or so) that actually knew his music (strange venue). (It didn't hurt that I had one of his T-shirs on) After they came off the stage he offered to buy us a beer and we all chatted at an outdoor table for an hour or so. Then a few weeks later, I was at the Borders in Honolulu to buy a slack key CD and John was playing (promo for Beautiful Hula Dancer), as I walked by, he stopped his introduction to say, "Hey, there's my slack key friend, Mike from Del Mar -- what are you doing here?

He is a very luck man with a very beautiful wife! Hope is a "classy wahine".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  05:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tonya

I know this sounds rather like I'm a stalker...
LOL, that just made me smile. Although, I'd bet that John and Hope would have loved to have heard a greeting from you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  07:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Tonya:

John and Hope are just wonderful folks and totally approachable. I've had the pleasure to spend time with them while they were in Eugene a couple of years ago and occasionally email John. I am totally bummed John will not accompany Keola down here for a concert scheduled in early December, but hope that we can get them here on another occasion soon. Both are such talented and gracious people!
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  12:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Sigh...I guess I should have approached them. Well, though, doesn't this give me a reason to head back to Hawaii again soon? I could lurk around all the airports and look for those with guitar and ukulele cases. If I did, don't you think the TSA might have a few questions for me... "No, honest, I'm just a Hawaiian music fanatic. And this *is* an ukulele in my case..."

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Or you could listen to John play live on Wednesdays in Waikoloa or Fridays in Hawi and tell him your story. He'd appreciate it.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

MentoBuggah
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:48:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tonya

I could lurk around all the airports and look for those with guitar and ukulele cases.

You may see me with a guitar case, and get me to play. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM
I am totally bummed John will not accompany Keola down here for a concert scheduled in early December, but hope that we can get them here on another occasion soon.
Mags...guess what? John e-mailed me just this morning, and it looks like he WILL be coming to Eugene with Keola! I think the fact that there is such strong support for these guys in Eugene may have made the difference; as you told me in a different context recently, Eugene is getting on the map for Hawaiian touring artists at last. Hurrah!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000