Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 HAWAII STYLE STORY TELLING
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crackseedslackkey
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crackseedslackkey's Homepage
Aloha fellow (and fellow-et) Taropatchers, I just wanted to let you know about someone that I just found out about not to long ago. Some of you may have already heard him, his name is ”Bradajo”. He does story telling mostly about his vast experiences here in Hawaii but also about his travels away from paradise and beyond that all relate in one way or the next to what we have all experienced in the islands.
I was invited to check him out by a good friend of mine, Greg Herbst. (more on him later) He was giving his talk story over in Honaunau in a little center called SKEA. I was blown away~ his storytelling is both nostalgic and suspenseful. I say suspenseful because he also tells different stories from Hawaii's folklore about strange happenings, as found in the numerous stories of the Hawaiian Night Marchers. He also tells the story of Christ as well, which I really enjoyed. It was the story I had heard before through church many times over but done in such a different and Hawaiian Pidgin style way it seemed like the first time I had ever heard it. A real treat. I have since seen him perform many times and each time I have the same feeling when I leave, like I just experienced Hawaii in a completely different way.
The part about his storytelling (for me) that really puts a great feel to what your hearing, is that in the background of much of his work he has someone playing beautiful slack key. (as heard in Da' Kapenta, or his latest album that is still just being released) The slack key interlaces itself in and out of what he tells punctuating his stories.
Greg Herbst who I met at Keola's Aloha Camp has become a close friend of mine and I cant say enough about his aloha spirit. He and Bradajo met a year or so back at one of his story telling evenings and became good friends right away and now they combine both of their talents into some of the best story telling to come out of the Hawaiian Islands.
My favorites are Bradajo’s most recent album from the Tin Fish label is “Poems” then “Da Kapenta” and “Supa Natural.” These will make terrific gifts for birthday’s and even Christmas.
Anyway I was so stoked to find out about ‘dis guy and surprised that I hadn’t seen him yet here on Taro Patch so help spread the word if can . . . .

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT TURKEY DAY

www.bradajo.com/

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Eh Chris, mahalo for sharing. In mentioning for possible gifts - Do you think the books would appeal to both folks who grew up with pidgin in school, and those who grew up out of the culture, but have come in contact with visits to the islands?
Please say Hi to Greg.
I hope to see you over here in SoCal soon!
Happy Thanksgiving, and have a good Christmas.
nancy
Go to Top of Page

Crackseedslackkey
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crackseedslackkey's Homepage
Aloha Nancy, my own experience with the book is that is really should be accompanied by either the CD or purchased after having seen him in a show. Otherwise it can be hard to follow because the Pidgin is very thick! I think the first exposure would be great with a CD.
Go to Top of Page

Crackseedslackkey
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  10:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crackseedslackkey's Homepage
Oops . . . I also wanted to say that I hope to see you folks down in S. Cali as well! I'll keep you in toch. Let me know also the folks you think I should be in contact with . .

Have a great day out there~

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000