Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 WHERE'S BLA ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  12:50:06 PM  Show Profile
... Well, its that time of year again, Slkho & PuaHo's annual trip to the islands. Unlike certain retired geezers up in the chilly North, (i won't name names, but his initials are Karl) we prefer sunny warm places to relax in. ha ha.
Anyways, as I always do, I drag along the autograph guitar in the hopes I can rub elbows with Slack Key royalty and get his, or her autograph.
My main goal this year is to locate Bla Pahanui. Last information I got was that he was working at a park by Kona Kai side...is this true. Can anyone out there confirm (or deny that) this. Does anyone know where he may be between December 22nd thru January 4th?
Let me know, also, if you know of anyone else of note, I would love to know about it. We'll be on Oahu.
BTW...hope you all have a great Christmas and Healthy New's Year.
~slkho, `puaho, & ~zoom (arf!)

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  7:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I don't know anything about Bla's performing schedule, but I believe he has retired from his city-parks job.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Bla is indeed retired -- no regular gigs, but he occasionally "sits in" with some of the guys who have regular gigs on O`ahu.

Martin Pahinui plays Sunday evenings at the Waikiki Marriott (with George Kuo & Aaron Mahi) -- I'm sure he'd be glad to help you contact Bla.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  07:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Bla is indeed retired from his parks job. He and his wife, Kathleen, are very much involved in local issues such as the return of Waimea lands to Hawaiian control. He has a wonderful web site at www.pahinui.com with lots of pictures and songs and a blog. Kathleen tells me that he plans on all kinds of cool things for the web site, like a movie, even. What a beautiful, soulful voice Bla has, and a distinctive picking sound. What a musical family! Must be in the blood.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to all for your assistance....I'll check out the Waikkii Marriott that Sunday, (thanks A-Maria) Is that the same venue Auntie Genoa plays on Thursdays?
:-D
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  8:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, giving you advice is usually like peeing into the wind, (remember, this guy climbs mountains...big ones) but if you can find the group Maunalua playing anywhere, go see them. You might even drop my initials and see where that gets you :) MAke sure you tell them you like and play slack key and yo will have friends for life.
Say, Rik, when i come out with my million-seller slack-key-cum-cowboy-song CD, can i autograph your guitar? Pleeeeeeeeze? I got this new chain saw i need to try out :)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Gramps! you kill me. Aren't you on the AARP's most wanted?
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  3:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Hadji!!!

You should listen to Ray Sowders at the Pool Bar at the Hyatt Regency (Waikiki). He was playing Tuesday/Thursday/saturday at 6:00 for an hour but you should email him and get it correct. I may be steering you down a rabbit hole for Zoom to follow.

V/R Shamu

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile
...Dear Shamu,
Thanks for the lead on Ray, I'll check him out too.
V/R
Your Trainer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000