Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and Your Guitar ('Uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile
I am conductiing fisheries research overseas and will need to bring preserved specimens back to the U.S. for identification. While searching the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) web site for information on getting whatever permits I need, I came across the following ditty on the USFWS web site regarding bringing guitars into and out of the U.S.

Guitars
Do I need a permit to import or export my guitar? Some guitars contain wildife, such as mother-of-pearl. If you are importing your personal guitar that contains wildlife as accompanying baggage, you must declare the item on the Customs declaration form. Click here for information if you are commercially importing or exporting guitars that contain wildlife or if you are separately shipping your personal guitar that contains wildlife.

Some guitars also contain Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra). This species is listed in CITES Appendix I, and may not be traded for commercial purposes. However, exceptions can be made for guitars that qualify as pre-Convention, i.e., contain rosewood that was obtained prior to June 11, 1992. Click here for an application form to export or re-export pre-Convention guitars. The guitar must enter or exit the United States through a plant designated port. Check with APHIS, the State, and foreign country to meet their requirements.

I've never heard of this before. I assume that thia would apply to any muscial instrument, including ukes. Has anyone ever had an issue at Customs based on the components in your guitar/uke? I hate to think about the implications of ivory tuners or bridge pins. Anyway, just thought this interesting and wanted to share it.

Keep on pressin'

All Thumbs

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Most of the guitars and ukuleles you see nowadays don't really have Mother-of-pearl inlays but Paua inlays which is commercially raised and harvested in New Zealand -- pretty much looks the same. Paua comes from a large shell that looks like Abalone.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  2:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My guitar may have contained wildlife at one point but that was only while my hamster was loose.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Zoom is safe for now.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  11:23:17 AM  Show Profile
All Thumbs,

Sarah and I have gone back and forth to France several times in the last few years to visit friends, and have always taken a guitar or two, both with MOP and real Ab. We never had any trouble at all in Customs on either side. The only hassle we ever had was at the airport in Montpellier, when we were accosted by a woman French soldier (complete with that toy assault weapon the French use) who questioned us closely about the reason we had the guitar. She was worried that we had brought it to her country to sell. When we convinced her, (Sarah speaks French very well, and played the guitar, too, if I remember correctly) that we just wanted to play it while there, she finally let us go on our way. I can't imagine the French bring concerned about shellfish, except how to eat it.

As for Braz, there is pre-CITES and authorized, legal, current Braz, but you *never* get any proof from a luthier. You just have to know him or her and have trust. I trust the luthiers I know because I know them well, and I am convinced that our one Braz guitar is legal. But I couldn't prove it without hectoring the guy who made it for a copy of his paperwork.

...Reid

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/14/2006 11:24:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  4:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Visited a friend a few weeks ago and picked up his guitar. After the second song, a piebald rat crawled out of the sound hole. Must not like slack key. Nice little feller, though, crawled right into my buddy's daughter's lap.
But, no to your question.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
Reminds me of one of my favorite books when I was a keiki;

"Sylvester, The Mouse With The Musical Ear"

It was about a mouse that lived in a guitar in a music store that like to play the strings at night. Later, a cowboy bought the guitar (unkown - with Sylvester). While chewing some grass laying in a field, the guitar started playing itself (according to the cowboy).

A good book for yer great grandkids.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  2:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
While chewing some grass laying in a field, the guitar started playing itself
So which was the cowboy more suprised by: the guitar playing itself or the guitar chewing some grass?!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/18/2006 2:32:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile
got me
LOL

and my wife is an English Teacher

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  3:39:09 PM  Show Profile
This is another part of the "Don't ask, and certainly Don't Tell" policy...
Guitars are still going onboard as far as I've tried...
My guitar is ALL FAKE.
Yes Virginia, there really are fakes.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 12/23/2006 3:50:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000