Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A copyright question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  09:30:54 AM  Show Profile
Mark, we have talked about Matt's Bounce before, and you may have been impressed enough by Manini to write one in the same vein. But Manini, and one that Ozzie wrote, and major parts of Uncle Ray's long version of Punahele, and lots of others, use the same techniques and sequences. Manini, and Matt's Bounce are really all members of a "type" of slack key piece. Betcha Leonard was not the first to write one either, but, since recordings are so scarce, I can't prove it. Besides, as I told you before, I think Matt's Bounce is the nicest, has the most interesting variations, and is the most melodic of all of them. Take a bow.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  10:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
As a non-composing (but perhaps decomposing) player, I strongly agree with what's being written here about making up new guitar pieces: for those of us who lack a strong gift for melody, the most significant elements that go into something we "write" are 1) what we can do on the instrument ("guitaristic" elements), and 2) familiarity with the licks, riffs, patterns, chord progressions, and so on that make up the genre or tradition. Stronger players (technically) are more likely to come up with something innovative-sounding, because they can wrap their fingers around more challenging licks. More experienced listeners (especially those raised inside a tradition who are also familiar with other traditions) can see more interesting possibilities. I suppose you can say that fast fingers plus big ears can compensate somewhat for not being Mozart or Irving Berlin or Dennis Kamakahi. What's interesting about that video clip is that Gabby (who had supremely fast fingers and huge ears) was very conscious of how material feeds into the creative process, and even though he didn't write new songs, he transformed the ones he inherited through a combination of technical virtuosity and a gigantic musical imagination that saw possibilities that other folks didn't until he realized them. On a smaller scale, that's what any of us do when we devise an arrangement of an old tune--it's what Ozzie has told me is important about being part of the tradition: to add something of your own to it rather than just replicating what your mentors have already showed you.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Russell, Peter, anyone,

I have tried, but I haven't been able to ID the guys in that clip. I know, as an aficionado, I should recognize the speaker, but his face is in shadow and I can't. I have searched and can't id the poster, either, his links get redirected, so I can't tell how he got the video. It is not pro quality, so maybe he did it himself. The clip is very recent.

So, can you ID the people in the clip for us?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

That'd be Kawika Kahiapo speaking. Check out his latest group Kaukahi.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  02:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Jeez, Andy, No Kidding!?? We have been with Kawika, and talked to him, and heard him sing so often, that I feel my stupid self. But, it just shows what face recognition does for me; and I couldn't recognise his voice at all. Good ears!

Anyone know the other guys?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Russell, Peter, anyone,

I have tried, but I haven't been able to ID the guys in that clip. I know, as an aficionado, I should recognize the speaker, but his face is in shadow and I can't. I have searched and can't id the poster, either, his links get redirected, so I can't tell how he got the video. It is not pro quality, so maybe he did it himself. The clip is very recent.

...Reid

Kawika Kahiapo and Ron Jacobs. You already know Kawika. Ron is an author, former radio programmer, deejay and just about everything under the sun involving radio. He's been fairly consistent through the years documenting Gabby and is an excellent resource person.

PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000