Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Favorite Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  06:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering what guitars the members here like the best.
My favorites have changed several times over the last year as my ears has improved.
My favorites right now:

Steel string: Taylor GS Cedar/Mahogany (wish list)
Nylon: Alvarez-Yaiir CY140(I have one)

Bob

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  09:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Once you play an "R. Taylor" you will think the GS is a cheap knock-off.

(Just GAS speaking)
GAS=Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile
mika ele:
I have a progressing case of GAS myself. Now I need to know what an R. Taylor is so I can find and play one. This stuff scares my wife :)
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Normal Taylor distribution is hindered by the policy that everything they make must be available to every dealer. The R Taylors are a limited-production set of hand-made units. You can order just about anything (wood, shape, electrics) or buy the spec units that some (only some) dealers get. Somewhat more pricey than regular Taylors. Very nice stuff. Don't play one unless you want to go into hock.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  2:57:36 PM  Show Profile
Robert,
Our local (and world famous) guitar shop, Buffalo brothers has some in stock. I made the mistake of playing a few of them just before Christmas. The one below is at the top of my wish list.
quote:
Bob Taylor realized his life-long dream of creating a high-end custom shop by selecting a handful of his most skilled craftsmen to build only 300 guitars per year and christening it R. Taylor. You've never seen such a happy group of guys, working in their own little room in the middle of Taylor's huge factory.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/r.taylor.html

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  6:24:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Once you play an "R. Taylor" you will think the GS is a cheap knock-off.
I just got one of those GS knock-offs a couple of weeks ago.....Hawaiian Koa sides and back, Sitka Spruce top and Expression electronics. But I can tell you it was anything but cheap.

I was told by Taylor's customer service people that they made 175 of them. I too will have to look for one of those R. Taylor's to try. The one you posted sure is gorgeous.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/03/2007 6:26:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  04:40:57 AM  Show Profile
My husband plays a 12-string Simon and Patrick. We are not equipment snobs and do not equate price with quality. This is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard. Paul likes it for the action and the sound. Additionally, it is a beautiful guitar.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I have played the GS koa electric.
A shop near me has one and I they wanted about 3.5k for it. It is a sharp looking guitar.
Mahogany is my least favorite looking wood by the way, but I like the GS C/M tone the best to this point.
The K. Taylors look fantastic...I have to see if my local shop has one.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Bob: My local guitar shop happened to have all three versions of the GS and I played with them all for some time before deciding on the Koa/Spruce model. Like the saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, tone is in the ears of the player. I have to admit that my decision to purchase a new guitar now might have been subconciously influenced by an article I had recently read about the scarcity of wood to make good guitars. Did you know that wood of a quality that is good enough to make guitars comes from trees that are 300-500 years old?

By the way, your guitar shop is substantially more expensive than mine. And I could have saved even more if it were available without the electronics.....which I never use anyway.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/04/2007 4:57:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  4:59:45 PM  Show Profile
John,
I didn't mean to "dis" the Taylor GS guitars. They are very nice and have nice tone. I have a Taylor all-koa K-22ce (old grand concert size with expression system electronics). Didn't think I would ever use the electronics until I was convinced to play at an Open Mike. Now I play once a week at our local Open Mike and use the electronics all the time.

My previous comment was trying to say that once you play an R. Taylor, you hear and see the little things that bring it a few steps above the K-22ce and the koa GS. The price difference is substantial. The actual worth is an individual thing -- how much will you pay for incremental or large scale improvements that you will only notce if you play the two instruments side by side. I really really like my K-22ce and am not willing to pay the price to move to another guitar.

The orginal question was:
quote:
Just wondering what guitars the members here like the best?

My answer:
The new R. Taylor Style 1C Koa/Adirondack, list $6750

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  5:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Mika ele:

I knew you didn't mean anything by that comment.....I guess I just couldn't resist! The Koa/Spruce GS has been the most costly of any guitar I've owned but what I paid is still less than half of the list price of the guitar that's at the top of your wish list. The quality of the sound (to my ears at least) is worth way more than the difference in cost between it and my 1995 Taylor 812C. I am continually amazed at the quality of the sound relative to cost that Taylor has been consistently able to provide in all of their products and price levels as compared to other makers products at the same price point. Of course this only applies to what I personally like to hear in a guitar.

When I originally went shopping for a new guitar in 1995, I was convinced that I had to have a Martin. But after several trips to every available guitar shop trying every guitar in my price range, I went home with the Taylor. Over the years, like most guitar players, I walk into music stores all the time and try new guitars. But my new GS is the first new guitar I've happily plunked down my hard-earned money for since then. Again, I will need to find one of those R. Taylor guitars to try.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  7:10:03 PM  Show Profile
http://www.randallkramerguitars.com/gallery/prairie - Spruce Top; Rosewood back and sides
http://www.goodallguitars.com/rhalternate.htm - No Cut away
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/model.aspx?model=314-CE - Imbua Wood back and sides; Corian bridge and nut

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/04/2007 7:12:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  8:17:05 PM  Show Profile
For many years I have liked the nylon string guitars made by the Pimentel Family of Albuquerque. About 2 years ago I had the good fortune of getting one made for me by Robert Pimentel. There is no other guitar, including Grimes, that I would rather have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000