Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 favorite hawaiian foods?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  1:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, you certainly cannot use the spinach leaves to wrap laulau, but it works swell for giving flavor to both the pua`a and as an ingredient in the laulau. As far as liquid smoke, yes you can find different kinds of wood -- apple wood, hickory, mesquite (which is kiawe, I think). I rub it all over the pork before I put the salt, and I do not cut it with water or anythin. I think that the spinach and any kind of fruit juce helps to temper the bite of the liquid smoke. Also, the lengthy cooking time tempers it as well.

We do not have any stores in the Cleveland area that sell any kind of Hawaiian foodstuffs, other than the normal oriental type stuff (we have a nice Chinatown section). However, in Cincinnati (5 hours away) there is a fantastic store called Jungle Jim's that has food from every ethnicity you can imagine. My daughter just got back from visiting friends in Cinci and she brought home some fresh taro root, some nori sheets, some guava-passion fruit juice, and some mango pancake mix. I guess I'll be cooking poi and making spam musubi this weekend.

One has to learn to be creative with substitutions.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile
wcerto,

I envy your weekend feast of Spam musubi. I recently went to a local Japanese restaurant that serves chicken katsu musubi. Same idea, but with chicken instead of Spam. REALLY good. But Spam may just be my favorite topping of all time.....

JEALOUS! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile
I am surprised nobody mentioned local seafood goodies (to me anyway): opihi, black wana, limu kohu; ahi, aku, nenue, palani, tako poke; moi (if you can catch em or use $$$$ "hooks" at the supah market), nohu, uhu, raw salted a'ama crab, dried fish (anykine), dried opelu (try micro-wave dis in your mainland company microwave -- you going be real popular -- I have experience). Hoooah, too many to mention. I also like the night-time sea-cucumber (da one with the spikes on it) prepared to my taste. I use ta like da fresh sashimi squid too. Nuff awready, I homesick now.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  06:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Nico's at Pier 38, Honolulu....

Marlin patty breakfast......

Nice.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Apologies if this has been done before. PacNWers, what are your favorite OR or WA Hawaiian restaurants?
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
I love the chicken katsu musubi and shrimp saimin with tobasco sauce served at Lukoki in Mountain View, Ca... perfect.

and can't forget the best shave ice from Matsumoto's.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile
andyjade: It's very slim pickings for us here in Olympia but we have Kona Cafe in Lacey, and L&L has just opened up in Lakewood a few weeks ago and there are a few other places that have only limited "Hawaiian" items on their menu. Then there is a bakery in Issaquah that has malasadas once in a while. They had some live music there too the last time we went. Kona Cafe also has Hawaiian music live Friday evenings and an open mike afterwards. I've heard some pretty good music at the open mike.....like one of Ray Kane's daughters' and she has an awesome voice. I've heard of others but they're further away and we haven't had a chance to visit yet.

There is also a hoolaulea that is put on once (or twice?) a year in Tacoma that has lots of great food, booths and continuous entertainment. The entertainers are also encorage others to sit in if the feeling strikes you.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:28:46 PM  Show Profile
John A,

The hoolaulea sounds very cool. Any idea when it is held? We just had an L&L open up here as well. The Kona Cafe has popped up in a few threads; it must be a cool place. I'll totally check it out next time I'm up that way. I am completely envious of your malasadas baking bakery. Anybody know of one in PDX?
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  1:14:30 PM  Show Profile
andyjade: The Hoolaulea is put on by the L#333;kahi ‘Ohana O Hawai’i group and apparently has been going on for some time. We have attended a couple of times and it is quite a large well-attended event. I just checked their web site and the next one will be on April 7, 2007 at the Chief Leschi School in Puyallup. They also put one on in October I believe. Their web site is at http://www.lokahiohananw.com/

Let me know if you decide to come up or if you go to Kona Cafe and maybe we can meet.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  1:20:12 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic.....I'll be in touch. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention a fairly new Cafe Hawaii in Parkland (outside Tacoma) that has pretty good food and served in Hawaii-style portions.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Eh! No fo'get Kona Kitchen in Seattle (5th&85NE)and Bobby's Hawaiian Style in Everett (makai on da Hewitt). Auntie Nani's in Bothell get malasadas on Saturday and also spam musubis. Also Hawaiian BBQ on the Ave in da U District.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Thumbstruck.......but we rarely get further north than Seatac and even more rarely, brave the traffic into Seattle except to go to Uajimaya once in a great while!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  5:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Javeiro, I think I understand the real reason why you run on a regular basis....and it has something to do with liking 'ono food.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  6:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Podagee57: You got it!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page