Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Will Have Its Own Radio Program
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  8:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Beginning In February wwww.50thstateradio.com there will be a 1 hour program every Friday devoted to Slack Key. I will host this program tentatively called "Slack Tracks"

It will consist of Talk Story with the who's who of the slack key world and those associated with it, as well as playing great Ki Ho Alu. Not always from the legends with songs you've head 100 times, but lesser known artists that play beautifully, have great songs, but just don't get the spotlight as much.

One of my first guests is Andy Wang of Taro Patch fame.

I would apprecitae your comments, and input about what you would wexpect a Slack Key show to include. So Please send an e- mail to me

Edited by - Ianui on 01/18/2007 8:25:45 PM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  03:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Maika`i. Great idea.

Don, you have more ideas and energy, and determination, than any 10 people. Good Going.

And it is neat that Andy is your first guest. Very appropriate and I know it will be very enjoyable. Andy is a big talent.

So, Andy, you going to LV to do this or is there some electronic magic involved?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  04:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Don is an incredible guy and it's an honor to included in his interview roster. I had a nice chat with Don via telephone but am not sure if the interview will appear in print or audio. I'm kind of hoping for the former so he can correct my grammer and stumbles. Oh shoot, what was a talking about?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  05:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Don - I wonder if this is going to be similar to what Patrick Landeza did with his podcasts, which were pretty darn swell. What I loved best about Patrick's podcasts was "Behind the Mele". I really enjoy learning about the kaona that I may be missing, or what inspired someone to write a mele. Please see if you can get Gary Haleamau as one of your interviewees. I also like to hear how the person came about playing ki ho`alu, who inspired them. What was the first song they learned? I would also be interested in them commenting on what they do to make a living and how their spouse copes with the musician in the family. I got Paul a bumper sticker for his Christmas stocking that says, "Real Musicians Have Day Jobs".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Don,
What a nice thing for you to do. Please give us a heads-up when the time is set. Also, I went to the site and clicked through. Although I did get a brief bit of something at first, I didn't come upon a way to listen to anything.....
n
(still not computer literate after all these years...)
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Nancy

Click on the link at the top of the page that says "click here to begin your listening journey"
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:10:34 PM  Show Profile
That's really great, Don, and I look forward to listening to it. The listening options for us here in the Pacific Northwest are very few (like one Saturday morning program) and it will be terrific to have another program to hear. I also think that the interview idea is right on! Please let us know when it will be on.

Andy: I know you will make us all proud to be associated with you!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Wow, what great idea, I can't wait.

As for ideas, there have been a lot of good ones already....I truly enjoy knowing the inspiration/meaning behind songs (and their names, which is not allways obvious, like Hiilawe for example)

You might want to have short segments dedicated to performance techniques/"playing tip of the week" type stuff and another segment dedicated to major upcoming performances, workshops and so on.
Just my 2 cents.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Don,
How about asking the tuning they are playing in and why. I find it interesting that many songs are played in different tunings with different sounds. Something that clues us in to the choices they make when creating a piece of music.
Don't forget to interview Ozzie Kotani and Peter Medeiros.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000