Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Lyle Ritz and Garage Band
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  1:58:12 PM  Show Profile
There's an article at mac.com on Lyle Ritz and his use of Garageband to record his latest album. It's basically a commerical for Apple but it has some fun pictures of Lyle. The link is http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/ritz/.

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  2:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
This is a cool article, Pops. Thanks for the link! I've had a copy of Lyle's earlier (like back in the 50s!) stuff for a while and enjoyed watching him in Jim Beloff's instructional DVD. Great ukulele master is Mr. Ritz, IMHO.
As a recording guy who is thinking about getting into a Mac, I was particularly interested his using garage Band for the album
Anyone else recording with this program out there? I have a Roland 2480-CD, but the Mac option sounds pretty darned convenient.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Garageband is so easy and convenient. Open a track and start recording. Add or remove an effect as much as you want. Using a timeline, raise and lower the volume throughout the song by dragging the line higher or lower wherever you need it. Add another track and start recording again. Repeat.
It's pretty darn convenient for home recording. The downside is that the output is only in MP3 and AIFF formats via iTunes. There are no other formats available for output and you can't take a project unedited into another program (that I'm aware of). Patches in Garageband seem pretty good with lots of adjustable parameters, though a serious recording engineer may not like them.
Garageband is a good track-at-a-time recorder but I don't think it will work with an interface with more than one input.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
The audio tracks at www.papalua.com/sounds.asp were recorded in Garageband. Sound Engineers/Audiophiles frown upon GB because it supports 16-bit resolution. Logic Pro 7 is better but I am told has a learning curve.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  05:50:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure Andy and Jesse are right when talking with professional sound engineers and audiophiles about Garageband. Depending on what end result you want to achieve, I know there's a ton of gear and software geared for professionals who need special tools to come up with the magic that they often do. That being said, Garageband is really easy to use. It provides you the opportunity to multitrack yourself (or others) and to ultimatley burn in on a CD for distribution to friends or for sale. My son has done some amazing things on Garageband that have suprized the heck out of me. Sometimes he'll have something playing and I'll ask who's the artist and he tells me it's just him. I get blown away about what he does. It's encouraged me to start trying to learn it, and I must admit, it's pretty cool to overdub your guitar playing with your 'ukulele. I'm 52 and fairly computer literate and it still tickles me to be able to do this.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Dave
Akahai

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uncle Dave's Homepage
Here's a dumb question I'm sure. Is there anything like Garageband for the PC? Took a look at Gragareband butI'm Apple illiterate. Been raised with PC since day one and cannot grasp basics of Apple or MAC.

thanks for any suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  03:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Sure there is Uncle Dave - Lots for the PC. Many of us here use Adobe Audition. Its a little expensive, but I think worth every penny ( I got it much cheaper on an educational discount). It is intended as a true professional recording system and there is really nothing it can't do. It is the follow-on to what used to be called Syntrillium CoolEdit Pro. Of course, any Wintel PC requires a device to which you can connect mics and translate their analog signal into digital signals, as well as provide phantom power to condenser mics. They typically cost about $200 - 400. A couple of us here use Echo Laylas or Ginas, but the Zoom H4 field recorder can do it, too. There are *lots* of threads about this topic in "Da Kine Music Gear" subforum. Give it a read. If you don't find what you want there, get into the archives. And, if it confuses you, just ask questions there. There are some *very* accomplished recording engineers here, like Mark and Dave Nye (Ilio nui) and Lawrence. If they don't know the answer, there is no answer :-0

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  07:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Uncle Dave,
There are lots of programs out there, mostly from Cakewalk (software brand) or Steinberg.
Check out http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cakewalk-Guitar-Tracks-Pro-3?sku=704988

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile

There are also A bunch of free or very low cost options for the PC.

You can download Audacity right now and it can do multi-track for free.
Somewhat simplistic with just a few "effects tools" (a.k.a. Plug-ins).

But the best BANG FOR THE BUCK right now is one Called REAPER.
It is fully functional shareware (even if you never register) that costs
only $40 to register. It runs hundreds of plug-ins, many of which are very
powerful (and some are fairly simple) and it has FULL SUPPORT for MIDI
instruments (VSTI's) (unlike Audition). It is also very fast at rendering
(final mixing) and can support an amazing number of plug-ins running in
real time. It also does Direct-to-Disc recording making it ideal for field
recordings.
(and the install file is only 2 Megabytes - you can put it on a PEN drive)
Is is written by the Guy who made WinAmp who is very sharp at this stuff.

Audition does not need many plug-ins because is has hundreds of them built
in, but it costs around about $300? (new).

There is also n-Track Studio, low cost, and workable. and
several other low-cost alternatives I cannot recall at the moment.

My main platform is still Audition 1.5 (2.0 is too buggy), but now I
do my finalizing using Reaper and Izotope Ozone. (Ozone is a
mastering tool, not strictly needed - don't get it until you are very
familiar with all the other tools and technical stuff - costs $350 and
has onerous copy protection)

I have used all the above software, as well as Cakewalk Sonar and a
few others, some personal preference is always involved in what is comfortable.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/20/2007 09:28:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence (and Uncle Dave), those are great suggestions except for one - n-Track. I used it, rather, *tried* to use it for months. It is very difficult to work with and simply does not have the editing and analysis capabilities that other programs have.

I, too, stuck with Audition 1.5, even though I have 2.0. I really like the idea that everything I need is built in and I don't have to worry about acquiring plug-ins (although it will run plug-ins if you happen to like one).

I am going to give Reaper a whirl, on your suggestion, Lawrence, and see if it adds anything to my bag of tricks (I don't need or want MIDI, though).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  10:15:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I don't need or want MIDI, though)
Yes, I too do not use MIDI often, but it is VERY handy for certain things, like
laying down a good solid rhythm track. Also, very easy to change pitch
and tempo, and if you have a GOOD SYNTH (with good samples - such as very good
capture of a Steinway that I downloaded), it can make a very good rehearsal source.

The Ozone finalizer with Audition is clunky, it hesitates and sometimes crashes,
Ozone with Reaper is smooth fast and flawless (both are 64 bit engines).

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/20/2007 10:17:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Is there anything like Garageband for the PC?

Assuming you mean, "Is there any easy-to-use looping program that combines MIDI and audio loops with a basic audio/MIDI recorder for the PC?" the answer is still yes.

The programs previously mentioned are generally either audio recorders/editors or are more full-featured DAWs (digital audio workstations -- kind of a misnomers, but I didn't make it up.)

I looked at a bunch of consumer-level looping programs a couple years ago. My favorite is called Mixman. It and IK's GrooveMaker are aimed more at the DJ remix-crowd. But huge fun. I remember coming across some under $100 PC stuff that was very similar to GarageBand, but I lost track of it.

Loop arranger/recorder types include Mackie's Traction, FL Studio, Ableton Live & the king of 'em all, Reason. These get a lot more serious, so expect steeper learning curves. But just about any DAW from Cakewalk to CuBase to Logic will do loop-style arranging.

quote:
Sound Engineers/Audiophiles frown upon GB because it supports 16-bit resolution.

Umm, we buy CDs, don't we? B'sides, what the heck dif does it make if you mangle it all down to an MP3 or AAC and listen on itty bitty earbuds?

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Don't got earbuds Mark. Never listen to MP3s. Sarah and I were at a live performance of La Boheme Sunday. I got a live artist that plays every day and night for me. I need 1024K bits.

Stay cool, Mark :-)

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/20/2007 3:10:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
If it's looping you want Reaper will loop MIDI or WAV or both,
while recording more MIDI or Audio or Both. (and very easily
according to the User's Forum)

Audition will loop just WAV.

Side Notes:

Reaper can also automate almost every "knob" even the ones from
add on plug-ins (so they say), haven't tried it yet myself.

Reaper also has a full-fledged patch bay/routing matrix that will
patch almost anything to almost anything else including full
side-chaining
,(which means something to us old hardware studio
types).

(I haven't tried these features yet either)

too much to do, too little time...

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/20/2007 3:39:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  5:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Unless you're doing high-end mastering I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of 24-support in GarageBand.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I've used Garageband for commercial recordings, mainly because it was really user friendly. I found out after the fact that Garageband is 16 bit. Although you can hear the difference if you put a 16-bit recording side by side with a 24-bit recording (recorded through the same hardware), Garageband still does a very nice job.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000