Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Inexpensive, but good sounding ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark, you should post a photo of your gem.

There are a couple pix of Dennis' Cigar Box `ukulele on the Aloha Camp website. Including one of Danny & me doing our separated at birth routine.

Here's a sample:

Isn't this the one you own, Julie?

Edited by - Mark on 03/04/2007 1:10:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
I have, of course, thought about building one with Dennis, but I don't think I could do it and play as much as I want/need to. Seems like to do it right, you can't be taking too many other classes.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

People as young as your children don't always take to an activity that the parents enjoy. But if your girls show an ability and an enjoyment of music, get them anything that makes a sound. We can be picky about quality, but they just wanna have fun, and you can have a lot of fun with cheap lousy instruments.
The best instrument I have ever played cost $2000 and was made by Tony Graziano in Santa Cruz(one of my students owns it). The worst was a Mahalo or Johnson. Obviously, your girls would sound better on the more expensive instrument, if they sound good at all.
If you are in the SF bay area, call me. After listening to a player I can evaluate and advise you what instrument is most suitable for your situation.
All the brands mentioned will sound good in the right hands. But until I hear your girls, I cannot advise what is best. Good luck, dad.

Thanks for the evaluation offer, Hikabe. Unfortunately, I almost never get to the Bay Area any more (unless I am flying through the airport, preferably to Hawaii). We have plenty of instruments and various noise/sound making devices always available to the girls. And you are absolutely right, the girls may never end up playing music at all, although my youngest especially seems to be drawn to music and dance. They have both shown some interest in playing while I am playing and the yougest keeps going to the piano and playing. As I said before, I want to have an ukulele available for them whenever they want to play it, that I won't have to worry about. But in the event that neither one of them is interested, I want something that I will like to play.

Thanks!

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000