Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Diana Aki /Haunani Apoliona
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  01:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of any solo recordings by Diana Aki? I have several things on which she sings with someone (like Uncle George) I was watching Uncle Ray Kane's DVD, "Ki ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" last night for about the jillionth time, and I really like the songs she does on there. The only thing I can find is "Troubled Paradise" which is a compilation. Also Haunani Apoliona. I know she recorded with Olomana, but did she do anything solo? Both these ladies seem to have great mana.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  04:19:43 AM  Show Profile
E Wanda e, aloha kaua,

Haunani Apoliona did a solo slack key album entitled "Na Lei Hulu Makua, Na Wahine Hawai'i", back when things were on tape. Unfortunately, it's out of print, but you can take a look at the list of songs she did here:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/haunani+apoliona/na+lei+hulu+makua%2C+na+wahine+hawai%60i/

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  05:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Diana Aki recorded with the Eddie Kamae and The Sons of Hawaii from the mid thru late 70's: Eddie Kamae Presents the Sons of Hawaii, Hawaii Sons, Inc., HS-2002; Eddie Kamae Presents the Sons of Hawai "Ho‘omau", Hawaii Sons, Inc., HS-5005 ;these albums are out of print but a number of tracks have been reissued on CDs as "Eddie Kamae - Sons of Hawaii" CD (2004) and "The Best of Sons of Hawaii, Vol. 1" CD (1981/1995).

The one song where she really stands out though is on the very beautiful and haunting "La Elima". A song which tells the story of what happened on February 5th,1868, when a series of tsunami destroyed the fishing village of Miloli‘i, in Kona. Sad as the song is there was no loss of life in Miloli‘i that day.

She has also recorded with Dean Ka‘ahanui on a soundtrack album entitled "Troubled Paradise." George Kahumoku is also on this soundtrack. I'm not sure but I think it maybe out of print.
PM
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  05:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of "Troubled Paradise has anyone ever seen this documentary or know if it's available ?

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Haunani Apolina can also be seen in "Hawaiian Rainbow" where she sings with Jerry Santos. Nice singing and the message is excellent.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  06:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria has the "Troubled Paradise" CD. I have the "Hawaiian Rainbow" DVD ... I really like "Come to me Gently". Who is that who is working in a lo`i and sings a song about who came first to Hawai`i, and why don't the Kanaka own the land? (I think it is the "Hawaiian Rainbow" DVD -- that's the one with the Ho`opi`i Bros, right? And Peter -- you were on one or more of these DVDs as well, right? Diana Aki's singing of "La `Elima" is what got me interested in finding more of her music. I have lately had a fascination with La `Elima...the tune is so haunting. Maybe because it is February. Mahalo to all for your kokua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I don't have my list in front of me, but Haunani Apoliona was on a few young-traditionalist recordings in the 1970s in addition to the ones with Olomana--I keep seeing the LPs on eBay (and never win them). She also sings one track on the "Ki Ho`alu-Seattle Style" album (now out of print) and is on several tracks on Mike McClellan's "`Auhea `Oe E Sanoe" LP (Mike may still have some copies).
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I was trying to track down the Ki Ho`alu Seattle Style and even called the place that put it out originally. They said they plan on reissuing it within the next year...he said hopefully by the end of this calendar year, because there have been many inquiries about it.

I did see on e-bay, a sealed LP recording of the sound track to Uncle Ray's "Ki Ho`Alu: That's Slack Key Guitar." Someone else won the bid...I had bid up to $50, but someone else wanted it more than me, I guess.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile
The best way to hear and see Haunani A, is to go to Hilton Hawaiian Village at the Ewa end of Waikiki (next to Hale Koa) on Saturday nights, if you can. She plays (or used to) with Jerry and Wally then. She does solos, so it is not always Olomana style. She is *very* impressive: a big woman with a big beautifully controlled voice playing a big jumbo guitar. The entire show is, of course, great too. And the drinkies ain't bad either. Sarah and I were surprised how few people were there - I guess it is just another example of what Dennis and others said in another thread about Locals not supporting Hawaiian music - but, on the bright side, you get good close views in nice comfy seats. And you can talk to the artists, too. That's good for the soul of all concerned.

I guess she is mostly concerned with her civic and political duties, which also implies very good things about her.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  11:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Dear Russell & Wanda,
You have to be aware that timing the close of the auction in this form of competitive bidding is just a important as pricing. In order to win on Ebay you should be using an automated sniping service. Because of my need to acquire research material I will use Bidnapper in order to have the advantage in bidding. As a means of acquiring the items I need, it works just about all the time for me and the cost is minimal.

A large percentage of the bids are generated in the final split seconds before the end of the auction. If you really need an item, it is to your advantage to set set the bid by inputting the auction number, setting an appropriate maximum bid and go do something else, the bids are generated incrementally as they come into Ebay. If you win at the limit you set, that is good, If you win at a lower price than your limit, that's even better. However, you will run into other competitive bidders who might also be using sniping services who will set ridiculously high bids. So it is inportant to set a reasonable limit on the bid. And then of course you should always do your research on the item's condition and the sales history of the vendor just to make sure that this is a person who has integrity and that you can do business with them.

PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I always bid my maximum right up front--and am often surprised at what a cheapskate I am. (Some of the Japanese collectors are really, really determined.) On the other hand, my collection of Sonny's recordings has gotten pretty complete thanks to eBay. Even when I can't bring myself to bid what the market value seems to be on 78s and 45s, I usually snag the photos of the labels, so at least I have the discographic data.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000