Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Final Post
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MentoBuggah
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  05:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, my bad.

Thank you, Blaisdell, for talking about the 'elephant in the living room.' I will not delude myself any longer into thinking I am part of an ohana here.

Final thought: What is it that makes mainland haoles attach themselves to Hawaiian culture like parasites? I was attracted to the rich heritage and tradition, because I have none. I knew only one of my grandparents briefly. She was smuggled across the Danube and made her way to NYC. She died before the iron curtain came down, and never saw her family again. A good thing, because Eastern Europe is a cesspool of poverty, corruption and pollution. Whatever brutality and inhumanity that existed in the North Pacific from the 19th century to WWII, it was ten times worse in Europe.

You are harboring resentments over 100 years old; The US is fighting a war over resentments 1000 years old. It's all just sad.

Aloha

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  7:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MentoBuggah

I will not delude myself any longer into thinking I am part of an ohana here.
I argue that you are part of the `ohana here. I was bummed to read the title of this post.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

kealiiblaisdell
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  8:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kealiiblaisdell's Homepage  Click to see kealiiblaisdell's MSN Messenger address
Why are you taking this so personally mentobuggah? Someone asked a question and I posted a response. You think im harboring resentments, when in fact im not. I just pointed out the facts on why Hawaiians are angry...isn't that what I have been posting about. Look, its the same thing if someone asked how to make spam musubi...i'd post hon ow to make it. Please don't take it personally, but I cannot make up your mind for you. Im proud to be an American and Hawaiian...

You took that post all wrong, and you took it personally...

Keali`i = (

THIS IS NOT YOUR LAST POST...IT WILL BE MINE....SORRY IF YOU ALL WERE OFFENDED.

ALOHA

Edited by - kealiiblaisdell on 02/24/2007 8:26:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  9:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou:

Ahh, auwe! I am distressed by what's happening here - I didn't take offense personally at the message, I have met some of the Hawaiians who are angry (especially the young kane) and listened to their stories and learned. Kapuna, too.
The more I travel to Hawai'i the more I learn about the culture and the history and there is good and bad, just like the US history with Native Americans and, say, the Serbs and the Croats, or the Chinese and the Koreans. It's all through history.
Please, let none of us be offended by what we say here in our beloved taropatch, we are ALL 'ohana, and I am honored to be included. I may not be making perfect sense in my response, but my heart is troubled. Peace, please.
Auntie who is haole but Hawaiian at heart.....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kealiiblaisdell

Why are you taking this so personally mentobuggah? Someone asked a question and I posted a response. You think im harboring resentments, when in fact im not. I just pointed out the facts on why Hawaiians are angry...isn't that what I have been posting about. Look, its the same thing if someone asked how to make spam musubi...i'd post hon ow to make it. Please don't take it personally, but I cannot make up your mind for you. Im proud to be an American and Hawaiian...

You took that post all wrong, and you took it personally...

Keali`i = (

THIS IS NOT YOUR LAST POST...IT WILL BE MINE....SORRY IF YOU ALL WERE OFFENDED.

ALOHA

Aloha e Keali'i, don't let this be your last post. I have to agree with you Keali'i that mentobuggah took this all too personal. I like it when you try to educate all of us taropatchers about different issues that affect Hawaiians. As you know, I am full-blooded Chinese but I am Hawaiian at heart. Aloha and hope to hear from you soon. A hui hou!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  02:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Now is not the time to run!

We practice music so that we can become better musicians.
Now it is time to practice forgiveness and understanding. It is not a time for running.

Aloha
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  03:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Only through open and honest discourse without attribution can knowledge and understanding be gained. Please do not harbor ill feelings. Respect other points of view.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  05:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Jeez you guys, don't go anywhere! Don't run away. This is the Internet, it is not Real Life. If you don't care for a thread, don't read it or reply to it. Remember the funny, but scatological phrase "Opinions are like A**H***s, everybody has one."

BUT, even though it is not Real Life, this is the only site that I have ever hung around in the entire history of the net - I have been on the net since DARPA -, that links us to many of our *true friends*, and that has *created* more true friends in Real Life. Lots of us have met face-to-face and really enjoy the company of each other. There is a lot of love here (I won't say Aloha, because lately that word has gotten some bad press). So many times we have received the generosity, hospitality, help and the kind of friendship that lasts an entire life.

Stay here and post about other, wonderful things. Meet us in the flesh. Get to really know us.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I have to say that I am shocked at what has transpired here. It's unfortunate that it seems to be mankinds nature to impose themselves on those militarily weaker to further their own interests. The pattern has been repeated many times throughout history. The Mongols, Greeks, Romans, etc. Just take a look at what the Spanish did to the people and cultures of the Caribbean and Latin America. Some of those cultures have almost completely vanished. Will this pattern change? One would only hope so, but sad to say, it seems that history shows that it is what humans do.

There have been some very strong words here that I have found very disturbing. I indeed feel for the Hawaiian people and their plight as I have mentioned in previous posts. "Anger" and "hate"...wow. Those words just make me sad in this context. I guess I had this delusional feeling that the Aloha spirit could conquer the world, or at least bring people who recognize it and embrace it closer together. Is it just a fantasy? I have felt that it does indeed exist here. These are the first cross words I have seen among Taro-patchers. I guess that is why I was so taken aback by this. I also feel that the aloha spirit is what is responsible for the keen interest in the Hawaiian culture worldwide. Because of that, bits and pieces of the culture (including music) are seeping into many different countries. Sort of a world wide take over. And I'd have to say that is a good thing for Hawai'i...a compliment at the very least. Maybe it is a secret plan for Hawaiians to take over the world, yah? I'd have to say that would be a much more successful means than through anger and hate.

History is just that. Can't change it. Brooding over it won't help. Learn from history and use that knowledge to make the future a better place. There are peaceful and legal means to at least start making a change for the Hawaiian people. Keali'i, this may be your calling...who knows.

Now let's just all get along...OK? And don't nobody be leaving here!

Peace everybody!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  6:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, everyone; I would like to apologise for my part in creating this situation. A couple of people pointed out errors in my "facts", which I should have checked before I posted them. Also, at least one of my posts contained a little sarcasm, and that was wrong.Mento,and Keali'i, especially, to all TP members,I am sorry and will make every effort to be more pono in the future. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  05:14:48 AM  Show Profile
OK, Once again, I don't like it at all that lurkers can make controversial or negative (mean) comments and not have their names or contact information in the bio. And I am once again refering to Kawehipulamahia. I don't know why anyone thought that Mentobuggah should not have taken his comment personally when he called him mentohead. To me, that is clearly a very lightly veiled nasty name-calling.
Obviously some folks know who Kawehipulamahia is, but if I don't, I imagine others here also don't know who he is. I don't believe he's added anything positive to our ki ho'alu on-line ohana. He may be a great slack key artist, a pure Hawaiian, a fabulous/famous singer or chanter, but in my book, he's a rabble rouser and should certainly get to know us, in our many races, ages, histories, homelands, religeons and then appreciate our sameness in our desire for peace, aloha, ohana, and our dedication to preservation and growth of appreciaton of Hawaiian-style slack key music before he opens his mouth again.
So Mentobuggah, I'm sorry that the bullies on the playground have made you stay away.
auntie nancy cook
manhattan beach CA haole,
native american by virtue of being born in Los Angeles
62 yrs old
learned ukulele and hula in grade school right here in SoCal;
many Hawaiian-born filipino-american relatives, including hapa-haole kid.
If anyone says you can't appreciate someone else's birth place, race or culture because you weren't born to it, what's the point of going to school and taking classes in language, anthropology, history, music, culinary arts?? Are any of us able to change past history? I don't think so... but we can all contribute now and in the future to leaving a more positive place in history than someone's possible relatives did in the past. I suggest starting here and carrying the positive feelings of aloha to our personal lives, even stretching it a bit.
OK, now I gotta go practice, cuz I'm sure at the bottom of this wonderful group of wonderful slackers when it comes to being able to play.
nc

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  05:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Anthropologists say that uncerstanding one's culture enables one to apprehend the culture of another more easily. You know and understand your own family, giving you insight into other families and fellow feeling for them. History teaches that whenever 2 cultures came in contact, both were impacted. Sauerkraut came from Asia with the Mongols ( all hail the conquering kimchee ), musicians have ALWAYS swapped licks, fart jokes are universal ( gross, but true ). Keola said to hold onto what you love with an open hand, otherwise you'll choke and crush what you love. My Dad said that if you can't learn how to do something from someone, you might be able to learn how NOT to do it. If this makes you feel bad, what about rush hour traffic and the associated hand gestures?
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  2:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I say maybe it's hapa haole music. I just say that because over here, that's what people think is actual Hawaiian music. I don't dislike hapa haole; as a matter of fact, I sing hapa haole songs with the senior citizens at the nursing home I volunteer at sometimes because I know they know them.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  8:17:39 PM  Show Profile
hui ... kinda sad to read dis kine stuff yea? But not unique to Hawaii .. happen all ova da world.

I was scannin da site ... and found dis thread ...

Me... I dunno how some guyz figgah ... (Sometimes I don't understand) but daz how life is. Get anykine people. I was readin the Kealii stuff wid some thinking. I getting into the "old stuff" but noted posts indicating attacks on Malahini in Hawaii.

Fo you malihinis who tink Hawaii is all aloha/paradise, tink again. I guess I should switch to regular English.

Hawaii is a conglomerate of races, religions, and sub-cultures within cultures/mixed cultures and micro-cultures within islands. Like with any cultures there are good, indifferent, and bad people. It is not ALL aloha nor ALL bad. The bad should not cast a shadow on the rest of the culture or races. But maybe, I should not even state this since it is redundant information in your minds.

What you may not know is that it is not only "Haoles" or malahinis who are attacked in Hawaii. Lots of us local fishermen (and, of course, other locals) are afraid of certain areas due to the violence and crackheads. Unfortunately you do not hear much about it. Sometimes it is not even in the news. Read the following thread from mostly locals to get a sense of this fear or concern:
http://www.hanapaa.com/bbforum/viewtopic.php?t=3334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=cd03f6366ea7fc4070641c0e052c6e6b

Take note of some of the areas mentioned. Maybe you might want to avoid those areas. If you visit Hawaii, be aware that there are places that even locals (of all races) do not venture as with any big city where you avoid certain parts of town.

When you visit Hawaii, safety first. Aloha/fantasy second.

A couple of decades back, many Japanese tourists were attacked due to their carrying cash in money belts and their small stature. The pilau buggas (dirty people) will target anyone. And, the pilau buggas that prey on others can be any race.

If u tink I all white wash, az awright, I probably am .... jus ... one ...drunk ...slakah... fishaman. Oh wait ... fishaman first ... den slakah.
(i no drink and drive nor drink and fish)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  05:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menpachi Man

hui ... kinda sad to read dis kine stuff yea? But not unique to Hawaii .. happen all ova da world.
MM,

Good point. There is good and bad in all of us. It's human nature. Thanks for sharing the link.

Sadly, neither Keali`i nor MentoBuggah have posted since. When people leave the 'patch, I think the community suffers. One of best things about a community is to have diversity - varied musical tastes, different ideas, backgrounds, experiences. Man, what a boring world we would live in if everyone were the same.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  07:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Menpachi - mahalo for sharing the link. It was very enlightening. You are absolutely right about it is not unique to Hawai'i. Every urban area has the "good" neighborhoods and the "bad" neighborhoods. And you are right -- the locals know where to go and where not to go.

I, too, am sad because Keali`i and MentoBuggah have not made any further posts. Always two sides to any story. Many of the topics discussed here need the input of a varied audience. That is how we learn. There is nothing wrong with differing opinions being presented, as long as there is always respect for the other point of view. Respect would prevent the troubles described on the web site link tht Menpachi provided. Start right now -- practice respect...toward each other, toward the `aina.

And don't worry if your point of view or position on a controversial subject is not that of the majority. So what. You believe what you believe. If you have conviction in your point of view, then stand by it...just be open to considering points that others may bring up. AR EE ESS PEE EE SEE TEE

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/14/2007 07:16:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000