Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Slack Key and Extreme Cooking Tricks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  1:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
File under the don't-try-this-at-home category. (Although I can't prove it, standard tuning would probably work too)

Things got so serious around here a week or so ago, I kept forgetting to share this experience, which happened just before.

I was fixing dinner (the norm around our house) which happened to involve searing the meat in question on a hot cast-iron grill before finishing it in the oven. The grill was hot and I had already placed a couple of the pieces of meat on it. They were merrily sizzling away when I picked up the last piece and was putting it into position. As I put the meat down I felt the end of my finger come down on the hot grill. Reflexively, I dropped the meat and pulled my hand away. As that piece began sizzling loudly, I inspected the finger that had touched the grill. It was just the tip of one of my left fingers that had touched the grill--just one of the callouses had touched. There had been no damage at all. And when I told my wife about it a few minutes later, I realized that I couldn't even tell which finger it had been. All that slacking paid off after all.

Aloha and Bon Appetite!

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  1:28:46 PM  Show Profile
See...slack key leads to a wonderful life. Makes everything better. Glad you didn't cook your fingers. Is that what they make finger sandwiches out of for the fancy afternoon tea?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Mandolin playing will do it to you, too. Steel players lose their callouses, just ask Slipry1.
BTW, what kind of capo goes with which cuts of meat?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  07:47:56 AM  Show Profile
There is an Italian ham called "capicolla"....get it?...capo....capicolla. Ha-ha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Next time I tell this story to a musically inclined bunch, I will have been cooking capon. Thanks for the inspiration!

BTW, seems like I saw in something about last February's AMC that there was going to be some instruction on Hawaiian cooking. Has anybody heard any reports???

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
BTW, seems like I saw in something about last February's AMC that there was going to be some instruction on Hawaiian cooking. Has anybody heard any reports???

Indeed we had some cooking classes scheduled.

About one week before camp we ran into a snag with the powers-that-be (as in State of Hawaii) that caused us to rethink how we would do it. To make a long story short, we had to reschedule the classes for next time around -- who knew there would be some many dang rules and regulations?

On the upside, Tom Kraft, of Norpac Seafoods, came to camp to check out the idea of adding some serious cooking classes (we're working on it) and he shared the best ahi poke I've ever tasted. Look for more cooking news soon!

PS Be sure to add capers to your capon with callouses.

But can you use your nails for a screw driver?
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Thanks for the update, Mark. All in all, I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss the cooking aspect of AMC, and that I might be able to participate in June.

Capers it is!

Yes I have been known to use (abuse) my nails that way, but I try to refrain from it now. When they are overstressed, it takes too long to get them back into shape.

Being a good scientist, I did put the callouses to another test. Sure enough, when I purposely touched them to the same hot grill the other night, no ill effects. Imagine the nice parlor tricks and practical jokes one could play!

Jeff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000