Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A duo called "Maui Jam"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:11:36 AM  Show Profile
I was listening to a fairly new release on Auntie Maria's web site. The group is called Maui Jam (Jon Toda and Al Nip)and the CD is entitled Mahoa Ia Hawai`i. Sounds pretty darn nice! Are they relative newcomers? I cannot find anything else about them, so I guess this must be their first release. Picture on front, they don't look like youngins', and their music sounds like they are experienced. I think I shall invest further in Auntie Maria's retirement fund.....

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Mähoa - what a cool word!

mähoa: vi. To travel together in company, as canoes. Nä wa'a e mähoa aku ana, canoes traveling together. Cf. hoa, companion.

I would add, see also:

: 2. Part. following names of persons. And company, and others, and wife, and husband, and associates. (Gram. 8.7.5.) Ke ali'i mä, the chief and his retinue. Hina mä, Hina and the others; Hina and her husband, friends. Mea mä, they. (PNP ma?a.)

I may be wrong, but I'm convinced "mä" is the source of the "dem", as in "auntie dem," etc.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

I may be wrong, but I'm convinced "mä" is the source of the "dem", as in "auntie dem," etc.

Yes Sarah you are pretty observant, this is where it comes from and is used in addition to "auntie folks" and "auntie guys". The thing is not to think about it too much, and just understand that you are talking about someone you know and there are some other guys with that person.
PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  12:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Al & Jon are not new to Hawaiian music -- but have played mostly for fun, not profit. They have a regular gig at Ritz-Carlton Kapalua... except Al will soon be joining the crew of the Alingano Maisu, as it sails with the Hokule`a, so the gig will be temporarily postponed.

Here's the bio info Al gave me to post on MELE.COM -- which BTW, is the exclusive retailer of their CD for now

Album Notes
Produced as a very limited release in 2006, this is the debut CD for the duo of Al Nip and Jon Toda -- known as Maui Jam.

Al Nip and Jon Toda have been playing Hawaiian music on Maui for 23 years. They have shared their music with malihini and kama`aina at many Maui venues, including, the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Westin Maui, Hyatt Regency, and Sheraton Maui.

Al Nip recently retired after thirty-one years as an educator at Lahainaluna High School. He has played music professionally on Maui since 1975 and enjoys sharing the culture and history of the islands through this medium. He loves kiho`alu and his style can be described in two words, "simple and sweet".

Jon Toda has been playing Hawaiian music on Maui for over twenty years. He is a skilled bass player but also plays guitar and `ukulele. He is employed at Seabury Hall, where he is the Technology Director and teaches `ukulele.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Sorry...hit "post" too soon!

From CD liner notes:
Mahoa means "to travel together in company". With the many friends who shared their voices and talent on this CD, it is our hope that through the music we created, we will continue to work together and to make new friendships as our music is played throughout our beautiful state.

(here's the CD cover -- Al on left; Jon on right):
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/maui+jam/mahoa+ia+hawai%60i/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  05:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Did we meet John at Uncle George's camp last summer? If so, he's terrific! and not just musically.
n
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Aloha Sarah, yes this is correct. There is also the use of m#257; with place names - e hele ana m#257;kou i Kona m#257; - "we're going to Kona and places near it." Kind of like saying in pidgin "we goin' Kona side."
M#257; in this use tends to follow proper names, person or place.

The m#257; in m#257;hoa is a stative prefix, and it is difficult to say exactly what it does because in all situations because it's effect varies depending on the root word that it precedes. There are other such prefixes which either intensifies or lessens certain qualitites, such as h#257;- (h#257;kea or "white-ish"), k#299;- (k#299;haehae) and a few others.

HTH,
Keola
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  8:22:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

quote:

Aloha Sarah, yes this is correct. There is also the use of m#257; with place names - e hele ana m#257;kou i Kona m#257; - "we're going to Kona and places near it." Kind of like saying in pidgin "we goin' Kona side."
M#257; in this use tends to follow proper names, person or place.

The m#257; in m#257;hoa is a stative prefix, and it is difficult to say exactly what it does because in all situations because it's effect varies depending on the root word that it precedes. There are other such prefixes which either intensifies or lessens certain qualitites, such as h#257;- (h#257;kea or "white-ish"), k#299;- (k#299;haehae) and a few others.

HTH,
Keola

Sorry bout that, the Unicode characters look OK in the preview but not in the post, I've removed them below:

Aloha Sarah, yes this is correct. There is also the use of ma with place names - e hele ana makou i Kona ma - "we're going to Kona and places near it." Kind of like saying in pidgin "we goin' Kona side."
Ma in this use tends to follow proper names, person or place.

The ma in mahoa is a stative prefix, and it is difficult to say exactly what it does because in all situations because it's effect varies depending on the root word that it precedes. There are other such prefixes which either intensifies or lessens certain qualities, such as ha- (hakea or "white-ish"), ki- (kihaehae) and a few others.

HTH,
Keola
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Keola, it's always good to hear your input. Mahalo!

Examples of the stative prefix might then also include maluhiluhi, ma'ona, and perhaps even malie, might they not? (Ma- working as an intensifier in each case.)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:11:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Aloha, Keola, it's always good to hear your input. Mahalo!

Examples of the stative prefix might then also include maluhiluhi, ma'ona, and perhaps even malie, might they not? (Ma- working as an intensifier in each case.)

aloha,
Sarah

Aloha. Maluhiluhi, yes - maluhiluhi = somewhat tired. luhi = tired. ma'ona, I don't think so, the meaning of 'ona (intoxicated) is quite different than ma'ona (full with food), though I sense a connection there. Malie... I don't think so either. There would have to be word "lie" and there is not that I am aware of.

Just because the word begins with a consonant followed by a long vowel doesn't mean it is a prefix. There are words in what appear to be a prefix like ma-, ki, ka- in which they are not prefixes at all (mäla - garden, for example). You have to examine the entire word.

HTH
kd
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  05:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Keola,
Mahalo again -- I see your point.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Would this be the case with makou...like in Kaimana Hila? "I waho makou Waikiki...."

Mahalo.
Aloha,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I will definitely check out the Maui Jam CD! It sounds incredible. Thanks for the info Wanda.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  7:38:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Would this be the case with makou...like in Kaimana Hila? "I waho makou Waikiki...."

Mahalo.
Aloha,
Wanda

No, not in this case. I've never seen any discussion of the ma-, la-, ka- and 'ou- in the plural pronouns, but would be an interesting research topic. Totally unrelated to the ma- prefix that we are discussing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000