Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Linda Dela Cruz, "Hawaii's Canary"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Harry Soria
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Harry Soria's Homepage
Linda Dela Cruz, "Hawaii's Canary", has passed away on the evening of March 14th, 2007, at her home in Pana'ewa, Hilo, Hawaii. Linda's many fans will always remember "Hawaii's Canary", whose incomparable presentation struck a precarious balance between strength and fragility. As quickly as Linda could unleash a stormy, bluesy, power, she could also caress with a gentle and subtle teasing. With an angelic smile on her lips, and a naughty twinkle in her eye, her voice climbed the peaks of any soprano register in one moment, and descended to the deep guttural chants of her ancestors in the next. There will never again be anyone quite like Linda Dela Cruz.
We send out our fondest Aloha to her family, friends, and fans, and we celebrate her music.
Harry B.

Harry B. Soria, Jr.
Territorial Airwaves
Visit the Territory of Hawaii at:
www.territorialairwaves.com
Your Source for the History of Hawaiian Music

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  05:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
My condolences go out to the Dela Cruz "Ohana". I agree with Harry B, there will never again be anyone quite like Linda Dela Cruz.
Seize the moment, life is truely short.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  05:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Harry B,

Thanks for posting. Another loss to the Hawaiian music community.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  5:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Harry,
Mahalo for posting. My condolences goes out to the Dela Cruz's 'Ohana. We lost another great one in the Hawaiian community.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile
The musicians that we grew up with here in Hawaii are slowly passing on,another song bird has left us and join the rest of Hawaii's legends. I didn't have a chance to meet Linda but I grew up listening to her music as a child. My favorite song is, Ke Ala O Ka Rose, raised up by my granmother, she alway's kept the radio on kccn ( hawaiian music.) at age 4 or 5 we never had television, radio is all we listen too everyday, at the time I never knew the names of the artist that sang on the radio, I just knew when certain songs came on, I would stop and listen until it was over, Hi'ilawe was also one of them too. As I got older I'd ask my granmother who they were and then finally I could match there names to the songs. My aloha goes out to the Dela Cruz's Ohana, there will be a great reunion with the rest of Hawaii's finest. I never knew it until the late 80's when I first met Leonard Kwan, he was the one playing the slack key guitar in the back ground. We were playing together one day and one of the song's I played was Ke Ala O Ka Rose, he then turned to me and said.....I recorded that song with Linda Dela Cruz back in the late 40's early 50's, I put my guitar down and told him it was one of my all time favorite. I'm listening to it right now and what an honor it was to have sat with a legend and to have listen to another.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin. God Bless the Dela Cruz Ohana.

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  1:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
She will be sorely missed. What an amazing falsetto singer.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000