Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New vs. older ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jk93117
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  05:16:38 AM  Show Profile
If you had to decide between 2 similar instruments, the only difference being their age, which would you choose. This is an issue I am thinking about at this time. I am thinking of buying a 25 year old Kamaka, but when I look at the same uke brand new, there is only a couple of hundred dollars difference in price. Now the dilemma, has the older wood had time to cure or have the technology and methods used to build ukes improved over the years? The assumption being I would be getting a better built uke. Are these assumptions correct and if so which consideration is more important?

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:06:38 AM  Show Profile
I guess you are not in a position to play and hear these two instruments?

I do not think that the technology that Kamaka uses has "improved" much in the last 25 Years. The technology of Glue has not improved. Kamaka now uses an NC machine to make necks (so far as I know), but that does not improve the finished neck much (just makes them more consistent and lower cost). The woods have not improved in the last 25 years either, in fact, the quality of Koa tonewoods has declined along with the decline in the health of the Koa forests.

Since an uke is a "light load" instrument (not much tension on the bridge), then hopefully the older instrument top as not bowed out very much. In this case I would go for the older instrument as the sound of the wood improves with age.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/21/2007 06:07:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  08:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
One question I would want to ask, if possible:
Was the 25 year old uke played regularly, or did it just sit somewhere, stored away untouched for a long period of time?
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Ilove my 48-year-old Kamaka. I've had to reglue a some separations over the years, but the sound is mellow and pleasant. Parts of the uke, mainly the neck and soundboard under the bridge, can move around a little over the years, so if the older one plays well, I'd get that, both for price and the assurance that the wood has settled and won't move much from now on.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

jk93117
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  10:58:29 AM  Show Profile
From what I've been told, the uke was played for a few years and has been sitting in a closet for almost 20 years. Is that good or bad? I hear that the sound vibrations have an effect on the wood so if it's been sitting and not being played then whatever those effects are have not taken place. On the other hand the wood has been curing to some degree and the resins within the wood drying out so I would suspect some changes have been occurring, just maybe not as rapidly as they would have if the uke had been being played all these years.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  2:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
You sound like you don't know enough about the two ukuleles to make a decision. Have you asked for a few close-up pictures, including one along both sides of the neck? Do you know if you'll have to replace tuning pegs? Is the neck warped? Has any WRITTEN and signed statement been offered before you make an offer asserting that the 25 year old uke would be returned for a full refund of your money if you receive it and discover problems? Have you asked that they take it to a local music shop and let someone who works on ukuleles (or even good quality guitars) take a look at it, then give you their phone number to contact for an estimate for any work they may believe it needs? I don't know of too many music shops who charge for repair estimates, so it may be possible to find one that doesn't. Do you have a good grasp yourself of how much it would cost to repair an older ukulele if you "discover" something shortly after receiving it? So far, based on what I've read, the potential for better koa in the older instrument would weigh in my mind. Stadivarius violins don't get cheaper with age, but they do go for less at auction if they are damaged and in need of repair. That expense in addition to the up-front cost is why they tend to be purchased by persons with money to spend on them. Ultimately, it's you're decision. You know that old Roman saying: "Let the buyer beware!"

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  5:00:44 PM  Show Profile
The really important questions here are :1) Have you been able to play either of the uke's? In particular, the used one. The new uke may have a warranty,the old one probably doesn't. If you've played them both, let your hands and ears decide. I'd be cautious about buying an instrument I couldn't play first.
2) How's your budget? Buying both uke's, if you can't make up your mind after playing them both,is always a possibility. Can you have too many toys? Once again, Instrument Aquisition Syndrome comes to the rescue.
It is true that the tone of wood changes as the wood and the finish age together. That's why many repairmen don't like to refinish a vintage acoustic instrument. All that aging goes back to START. Good luck, and let us hear what you decide. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000