Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Funeral dress code in Hawai`i
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  05:00:49 AM  Show Profile
This may sound morbid to some...but here goes.

I happend upon an obituary while reading the on-line Honolulu Advertiser. I notced that the death announcements mostly said "aloha attire" or "casual attire". I have never experienced announcements stating what type of clothing should be worn to a funeral (although sometimes, maybe they should, what with some outfits I have seen folks wear to a funeral home). Being the anal type person I am, I obsess about the appropriateness of my outfit for situations such as that.

What is the difference between "aloha attire" or "casual attire"? Why the need to specify clothing?

Thanks for helping me to understand.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  07:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Of all the funerals I've attended in the islands, attendees wore a wide variety of attire -- regardless of what the obit stated.

Aloha attire usually implies just that, where casual attire implies that attendees can wear whatever they choose.

While those who attend a funeral "in town" may wear aloha attire, it is not at all unusual (especially here on Kaua`i, and -- I assume -- on the other outer islands) to see someone at a funeral who has just come from pulling taro, and is still in their muddy boots, etc.

And another island funeral custom that surprises newcomers, is that we bring our condolence cards _to_ the funeral, with $$$ (cash or check) enclosed in the envelope. Attendees will be asked to sign in and their name (or sign in #) will be marked on the outside of the card's envelope to ensure that the family knows who gave what. At some funerals, mahalo cards are handed to attendees immediately. At others, the mahalo cards are mailed later.

Best of all, island funerals tend to be a celebration of the deceased's life -- expect music, funny stories, and food.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  08:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Auntie Maria. I like the idea of celebrating the deceased's life. Funerals over here are way too maudlin. When Paul's brother passed away a few years back, one of my daughters went to each of the relatives who came back to Paul's mom's house after the cemetery for lunch, and asked them to share one memory of Uncle Alan. We had all kind of funny, silly and touching stories to share. She wrote them all down and then read them to the group. That was the impetus for even more stories about him. My daughter, in her youthful wisdom, paid tribute to her beloved Uncle Alan in a wonderful way, and one that he would have enjoyed. He was very kolohe.

Mahalo for sharing, Auntie Maria.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I had lived in Hawaii for most all of my life except the past four-plus years and was very familiar with funeral customs there. I recently had occasion to attend my first funeral in Olympia, Washington. The funeral notice said nothing about attire and I, like Wanda; did not want to dress inappropriately. In the end, I opted for an aloha shirt with a blazer over it…….sort of in between casual and semi-formal As it turned out, I didn’t need the blazer. There was all manner of dress there from very casual to suits and ties.

The person who passed away was a well known and well liked gentleman and the funeral was quite large. There was no religious service and there wasn’t any music but they did ask for people to come up and share a memory of the deceased. Though it was slow getting started, many people did ultimately share their stories. Some were poignant or touching, some were funny and some were downright hilarious! All in all, we thought it was a nice remembrance. And yes, I did get up and explain how we came to know this wonderful man, how nice he was to us as strangers in a new place, and what a sense of shock and loss we felt at his passing even though we had known him only for a relatively short time.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Too hot to wear formal wear in Hawai`i, yeah? (Heavy suit jackets, tuxedos, etc.)
Classy, understated (not brash or loud) aloha shirt with nice long pants; that's what I've worn to Island funerals.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000