Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Trivia: Sukiyaki Co-opted Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile

A famous Japanese song (which made it to the top ten in the US)
"Sukiyaki" was featured recently on the CD titled "rememberances"
by Ozzie Kotani and our local Steven Sano of Stanford U.

However this melody was co-opted and used as the theme song for a Cowboy
Western movie (with cowboy lyrics), sometime in the fifties or sixties.

Q1: What was the the title of Movie?
Q2: Who was the lead Actor?
Q3: Who was the singer? (the song also received plenty radio airplay)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/03/2007 08:58:09 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:39:14 AM  Show Profile
OK - I'll bite: just a wild guess....
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
James Coburn & Kris Kristofferson
Sung by Bob Dylan

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile
No Wanda,

You are off by about twenty to thirty years, P.G.& B.T.K. was in the late seventies.
Plus Dylan would not steal a melody in such an obvious way!

It was along the lines of those John Ford movies, with a actor much
like the Guy who starred in the old TV show "Gunslinger". The main
actor was also the the singer, I think.

Somebody along the lines of Rex Allen maybe.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/03/2007 10:09:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Are you thinking of the Clyde Beavers country version of "Sukiyaki" from 1963, with an English translation of "Ue o Muite Arukoo (I Look Up When I Walk)"? I don't know what film that would have been in, however.

Edited by - Retro on 04/04/2007 1:46:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile

Ooh... That's the best I've heard yet. I will have to look it up and
see where it lead... Clyde Beavers... Hmmmm....

The strange thing about my memory is that I can pretty much remember the plot and many of the scenes and some of the dialog from just about every movie I have ever seen, but I do not rememember the names of the characters or the actors well at all.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  06:21:54 AM  Show Profile
I think it was used in the theme song to the TV show Mannix -- but that is not a western.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  06:56:07 AM  Show Profile
I remember Mannix. The Mannix theme did not borrow from "Sukiyaki" so far as I remember.

But, yes - I guess the Clyde Beavers translation is what was heard at the end of that "Cowboy Movie", probably with Clyde singing it. This means that the lead actor was NOT also the singer (but may have pretended to be - as is often the case)

Questions Remain - What movie was it in?

and Who was the lead actor?

Here is an interesting tidbit of history:

(it actually made it to #1 on the Billboard charts in the U.S.)

quote:
The story of "Sukiyaki" is a perfect example of how Japanese popular culture can find a market in America, but as a novelty instead of as a serious cultural export, or at least as a respectable cultural export with credible staying power: Kyu Sakamoto hit number one June 15, 1963, with "Sukiyaki." (It replaced Leslie Gore's "It's My Party" at the top of the charts.)

Sakamoto, born in Kawasaki, started playing clubs while still in high school. He signed as a "boy-next-door" by a talent company in 1959, and recorded for Toshiba Records. By the time "Sukiyaki" was released in the U.S., he had 15 best-selling singles and eight albums in Japan, and had appeared in 10 movies.

Here's the story of how the song was called "Sukiyaki" in the West.

The song that made his reputation in America (though it would be difficult to find any American who remembers his name) was actually called "Ue O Muite Aruko," Louis Benjamin, the head of Britain's Pye Records (the label that would a few years later be the first to record The Who), was visiting Japan on business in 1962, and brought the song back for jazzman Kenny Ball to record.

For the simple - and condescending if not somewhat racist - reason that British radio DJs might find the Japanese title hard to pronounce, the song was renamed "Sukiyaki," one of the few Japanese words most Westerners were already familiar with. Unfortunately it didn't have anything to do with the original title or the sad story in the song, but perhaps that wasn't taken into consideration because it was intended to be recorded as a jazz instrumental, not in its original version. Newsweek magazine at the time described the situation thus: "It is like releasing 'Moon River' in Japan with the title 'Beef Stew.'"

Ball's instrumental "Sukiyaki" went to number 10 in England in January 1963. Meanwhile in America, a DJ for station KORD in Pasco, Washington, got hold of Sakamoto's original and found listeners liked the song. The regional airplay caught the attention of Capitol Records, which re-released it with the British title, again for the convenience of radio DJs and listeners who might buy the record. It was the first song sung in a foreign language to top the Top 100.

Country singer Clyde Beavers later recorded an English version, but his recording wasn't successful. A new generation of U.S. pop music fans know the song best from A Taste of Honey's 1981 release, which reached #3 on the charts with its silky, soulful translation.

Maybe Louis Benjamin did Ryu Sakamoto a favor by changing the name of the song to "Sukiyaki." It's possible that even though it's a great song, Westerners wouldn't have given it a chance if they had to stumble through its real title. But the choice of the new title was so arbitrary that it comes across as cavalier.

Unfortunately for Japanese pop culture, the language barrier still exists.

from the link: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976802594

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  10:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone! First of all, I am known as "slackkey Bill" from the Valley Isle Of Maui. When I first heard "Sukiyaki", it was in the 60's. The one who sang it was Kiu Sakamoto of Japan. Back in Grade School, my friends and I would do an instrumental version of it as a group...It's still my "fave"!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000