Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Barack Obama and being "hapa"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  7:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Interesting story in the NYT about Barack Obama and his experiences in Hawaii.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/09/opinion/09mon4.html

Jesse Tinsley

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  05:09:24 AM  Show Profile
That was indeed interesting Jesse. Though I don't generally lean in that direction politically, I also know very little about Barack Obama right now. Mahalo for posting it.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
I found this one interesting, as well, Jesse. Good find.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:43:32 AM  Show Profile
Quite interesting. However, I wonder how much of the "not fitting in" part of it is just normal teenage angst, since I witnessed that with my girls when they were younger...even though they are not hapa (well, OK hapa hillbilly and hapa Italian, I guess, but white as can be). However, both of them had moments when teenagers that they felt they didn't "fit in" with the crowd. One evolved into a girl who really wanted to be a part of the crowd and one evolved into a girl who could care less if she took the road less traveled and no one else was on that road. The hardest thing to do is to love yourself and to have confidence in yourself. Once you do, once you become friends with yourself, it doesn't matter what you are, it only matters who you are. You start to appreciate yourself. One of the things we tried to do with our girls was to give them a wide variety of experiences. I love to cook and always tried t introduce other cuisines to our girls. One can learn much about a culture by eating the grub. We introduced them to a wide variety of music, as well. That's mostly Paul's doing. So we have girls of Generation X who listen to Pete Seeger and Smashing Pumpkins and Kurt Cobain and Louis Armstrong and Israel Kamakawiwo`ole and BB King and Andrew Lloyd Webber and Johnny Rivers and Peter, Paul and Mary and Ella Fitzgerald. We have a violin-playing daughter who loves Beethoven and Pachelbel's Canon. Notice I said violin, not fiddle?

However, back to the Obama thing. He sounds about as normal to me as any other person who grew up in that generation. He's a politician, though, and has to raise lots of money. And to do that you've got to be beholden to someone. It remains to be seen to whom he will be beholden.

Jesse - thanks for sharing that link. `Twas most interesting.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  5:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Good one Jesse . . . very interesting. When I worked in public schools in Hawai`i, I believe the black population was 2% or less . . . so small that it was as if they didn't even have minority status (terms like insignificant or below-the-radar come to mind). As pointed out in the article, it would have been a lousy place to search for your black identity.

A friend of mine noticed this while on vacation on Oahu, saying "If we saw another black family on the sidewalk across the street, we all felt like waving."

Don
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000