Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Saddles and Bridge Pins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  6:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Can anyone advise me as to the best material for a saddle and for bridge pins? I have a vintage Martin parlor guitar which has a very sweet sound but which needs a new saddle. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Mark E

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Why not contact CF Martin and ask them how best to do this? I have contacted them before on a 1927 Martin I have and also on a ukulele and they have been very helpful.

Good luck!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hey Mark,

Contacting Martin is a good idea. Since you're not in Nazareth, Pennsylvania though, I'd check with your favorite luthier/guitar tech.

Bone is usually viewed as excellent for saddles. Here is an article: http://www.13thfret.com/bridge-pins.html

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Mark,
You can buy saddle blanks at the local music store and shape them with a fine file and sandpaper. But if you're not careful, it can take more blanks than you want to buy. You might let a pro make it for you.
If the old bridge is shaped properly, but just not high enough, you can use the old one as a template for the new one. Generally saddles are made of very hard plastics (names like Corian, Tusq) or bone. Some people swear by bone but I haven't noticed a difference.
Bridge pins are generally ebony, plastic or brass. Ebony is standard and most music stores sell sets.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Bob Colosi is one source of bone blanks and finished saddles.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/12/2007 05:42:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  7:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I contacted Martin and they sent me a set of bridge pins free! (and unasked!!) They also suggested an ivory saddle but the rep who responded didn't know from elephant ivory, fossilized walrus, etc. A Martin Warranty luthier at Dusty Strings in Seattle advised non-fossilized ivory because you just can't hear the difference. So I bought a blank from him and plan to take your advice, Jesse, and have someone who knows what he's doing shape it for me.

Mahalo and Aloha nui all,

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  07:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Mark,

Contact Bob Smakula, of Smakula Fretted instruments (he has a website). Not only is his workmanship impecable, but he's a huge source of information. I even think he authored an article on this topic for the The Old Time Herald.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000