Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor ukulele recommendations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
I cannot say enough good things about the Tangi, made in Honolulu. We discovered them by accident at Bob's Ukelele Shop in Waikiki after the 2006 AMC, and we now have three of them. They are above the minimal price range (usually around $300 with a hard case,pickup $60 extra) but the quality, sound and playability are very good. I think of them as comparable to a Kamaka at half the price or less.

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

Henri VIII
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  5:12:35 PM  Show Profile
You might try a Kala Tenor -- they compete with Lanikai but I prefer my Kala.

I'm looking for a Tangi Tenor but if it's not on Ebay then it's hard to find here in Central Florida, land of sun, fun, and hurricanes but not 'ukuleles 8(
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Kala ukes are virtually the same as Lanikai because the guy who founded Lanikai is back selling and letting Hohner keep the earlier line. Also in the basic (Chinese made) uke category are Hula Ukes. The Lanikai/Kala/Hula Ukes can be good buys if you install good strings. The koa models (even though they are plywood) from Lanikai and Kala sound better than the plain mahogany ones because the koa ply is quite thin and competes respectably with solid wood models, if you add good strings.
IMHO,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Jesse,I certainly agree on your comments about Lanikai koa models. I have the CK-TEQ and liked it initially but when I put Aquila strings on it (both low G and standard) it sounded much better than whatever was on it initially. Now I've switched to D'Addario Pro Arte Tenor strings and while I miss the low G tuning I think the uke sounds better than it ever has (and it ain't me, babe!).
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Just m y thoughts. If you buy inexpensive you get what you pay for. You may settle at first but when you get more advanced you will want a better instrument. I'm not talking about going up to performer level. There are many excellent players that don't perform or record. But for the sake of discussion. When you get better and you will if you play a lot you may say to yourself that you should have bought a better uke. I suggest that you invest in a quality instrument that will be there for you when you attain proficient skills..One good uke is better than three junk ones, you spend the same amount in the long run. If your music is good your wife will love it too.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Ongchua, did you get your tenor ukulele yet? Anyways, I agree with all the comments on the Lanikai's. I tried out a couple and I think the laminate wood really hinders the sound. I haven't heard anyone recommend the Pono brand. I just got one (there's a special on the Koolau Website 30% off right now). I got a mahogany tenor with cedar top, all solid wood, with Ko`olau gold strings. Sounds wonderful, full, and definately affordable! If you can, take a look.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile
start small
end big

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Teri
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile
If you are still looking you might try a Lehua ukulele. They are a little harder to get but well made. I have a tenor, runs about $350. Solid wood construction. Uses Australian boxwood, similar to Koa. Ukes are put together in Portugal. Check out their web page or try Bounty music. I have Worth clear strings on mine. Get lots of positive comments about the brightness and sustain of my Lehua.

Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Magdog
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  07:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magdog's Homepage
A word for the Jenny Bushman Tenor. I got the cutaway (just because it looks cool). I'm very happy with it. It's probably me but It only seems to sound right in Bb. Couldn't seem to get the right strings on it for DGBE. Standard seems shrill. I wondered if gloss finish is the cause. But Beautiful Uke. Good intermediate step while saving for an upgrade.

http://www.Alohashirtrescue.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000