Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Trains of Hawaii
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile
So, Led has a song about a train on his Live album...
packed away, so the title is out of touch till remodeling is finished. What was it?

And, which leads to a subsequent thought of train...
Was there a time when many trains covered the bigger islands of Hawaii?
Perhaps for sugar, pineapple, and tourists?
What were their names? ...not the tourists!

Were they steam, diesel, etc.
And, as population and traffic congestion grows, would electric or other rail be a good option as we "progress"?
I chose the slack key window because of traffic...
and because of Led's song...
but I will take no offense Andy, if you move this to "Talk Story".
I was under stress as we approach our spring concerts, and even though I said I "can see the light at the end of the tunnel," I now realize it was the Challenger Locomotive!

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  6:59:10 PM  Show Profile
The song is "Ka`aahi Kahului" -- written by Palani Vaughan:
http://www.huapala.org/Kaa/Kaaahi_Kahului.html

Funny you should ask about trains, as I recently picked up the vinyl album "Hawaiian Railroads"...10 songs, all about the many steam trains that ran through the various towns and plantations here in the islands. Liner notes give some historical info on the songs and the trains.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  03:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Keoki Kahumoku does a really fun version of this song. Heard him do it live, and it was even better - brought the house down. It's on "Hawaiian from the Heart".

And you can also check out this informative resource: http://www.taropatch.net/download/kgs/KaaAhiKahului_KGS.pdf
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  05:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
I like playing "ka'a ahi kahului" because it makes my friend mike laugh when i start. it's a fun song to sing, and it's always a hoot to make a big deal about how the train went all the way from kahului to wailuku.

there are currently two trains running in the islands - one, i hear, on kaua'i and one on maui. the maui one is a restored sugar cane train (http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/infopage.html; it's not the train the song is about despite the typical patter you hear) that draws less thrill-seeking tourists and train buffs from all over.

trains were once common - working trains - and rail transport is still a topic of debate (see, for example, http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/board/printthread.php?s=b93ad4709e80f097929c38093d22ff49&threadid=11127&perpage=15&pagenumber=1).

some summer, i'd love to get a job being the ukulele player on the sugar cane train

aloha
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile
You'd have to play that Tahitian ukulele banjo, keith! ROTFLOL

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

bigwave
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile
There are still some remnants of the Kahului Railroad in Kahului. The old Railroad Station is at 101 Kaahamanu Ave and is stil in use as an office building. I think the old engine roundhouse may still be there, but I am not sure about that.

--Dave
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  09:57:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigwave

There are still some remnants of the Kahului Railroad in Kahului. The old Railroad Station is at 101 Kaahamanu Ave and is stil in use as an office building. I think the old engine roundhouse may still be there, but I am not sure about that.

--Dave

I don't think so. My parents had a business in that building from the early 1970s through the early 80s. The building is still there and has had a few facelifts, but still has some of the character of the original building. I do recall seeing some tracks still in the back of it when we were younger, but haven't been behind that building in probably 25 years.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  11:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
The old Railroad Station is at 101 Kaahamanu Ave
what? is that the old looking building across from the Maui Mall with the fabric store, the chiropractor and the electric bicycle store in it?

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  12:37:17 PM  Show Profile
I also wonder, if there were any with exotic names...ya' know, zephyrs....wind names, or names that suggest speed or other action images. guess ya might see where this might be leading me...
I'll bet the "Hawaiian trains" album is oop...
but the other one sounds like it's around.
So is the train old train station building around the slack key festival?
Go to Top of Page

bigwave
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, the building is across the street from the fabric store. The company that rents space in the buidling has a picture on their web site at: http://www.abprop.com/portfolio/asp/PortfolioDetail.asp?txtPropID=P12

--Dave
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  4:42:41 PM  Show Profile
You mean the train isn't still running with tourists?
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  6:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
no, THAT train is doing fine - the sugar cane train that runs all the way from north lahaina to downtown lahaina. although, i think that they're going to replace it with a shinkansen to accommodate all of the new commuters coming from honokowai into the financial district going in across from the cannery mall.

e kapila kane, i don't know of any train names. they must've had name, though being working trains, maybe they had less romantic names. i have a friend who remembers when she was a little girl on o'ahu and there were still using trains for cane. i'll ask her if she remembers any names.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/18/2007 7:02:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Georgiana Clark, CEO of Roaring Camp Railroads in Felton, CA, is originally from Hawai'i. Some years ago she imported to California the Kahuku (I'm not 100% of the name), a vintage locomotive that worked on Oahu until around 1947. When we hosted Keola Beamer with John Keawe and Chris Yeaton in 2005, Georgiana shuttled concert goers from the parking lot to the hall in a little train pulled by this locomotive. That was a special treat!

When Martin Pahinui played there with Aaron Mahi and George Kuo, his eyes lit up when he saw the old trains. Turns out his dad Gabby had a basement full of train items. Martin said his Dad would have loved being there at Roaring Camp. The things you learn about people at concerts...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  06:19:25 AM  Show Profile
We actually have _two_ trains on Kaua`i now. Grove Farm runs their cane haul train once a week (Lihu`e). Here are some photos of their trains, and a recent news article about that particular train ride:
http://www.hsengco.com/trains/
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2007/04/13/news/news01.txt

And the following one just began tours at Kilohana Plantation (near Puhi):
http://www.kauaiplantationrailway.com/rtt.htm

O`ahu has a train, too:
http://www.hawaiianrailway.com/

Here are some train names (from the tattered liner notes of my "Hawaiian Railroads" vinyl album):
Hamakua Express, #90 O.R.&L. (O`ahu Railway & Land Co.), Kauila, Lanikila, Ball-Lee Iaea, Engine #121 (which survived begin broadsided by the 1946 Hilo tsunami), The HC Ry (which did not survive the tsunami), Waiakea Sugar Train, Waialua #6

The album's liner notes also mentions that further information can be found in the book "Sugar Trains" by J.C. Conde

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile
So Kapila Kane...

...Are you thinking of working out a Hawaiian Fiddle version of Orange Blossom Special?...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile
It just wouldn't be folk music without a train song or two. I'll have to try locate some of the books/ recordings mentioned here. Our local park system has 'Train Day' every year. Stories, memorabilia,models, and the Train Song Spectacular, featuring one of the park historians & a couple friends.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000