Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Two questions for HARA members
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
1) Who here IS a voting member of the Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts, and:

2) Did you get your preliminary ballot, in time to return it by today's deadline (April 23?)

I ask because I was one of the many members who received very recent notice that HARA had failed to notify us when our renewal was due, so I sent my dues in time to get the preliminary ballot - but it never arrived, and it's now deadline day. I'd like to know if this was a widespread issue (enough to request that the board extend the voting schedule) or an isolated one (in which case, I might just be screwed.)

You may respond here or privately, if you prefer. Mahalo.
=Gregg=

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  6:59:27 PM  Show Profile
I've never been notified when my membership is due -- just track it myself.
Got my ballot with a couple of weeks to vote and send it back.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile
1) Me

2) Yes -- got mine weeks ago (but I know that some folks -- specifically my buddy Keola Donaghy of nahenahe.net) did not receive theirs until they called the HARA office to inquire. Change of staff at the HARA office could have been the problem. Contact HARA: http://nahokuhanohano.org/

FYI -- dues renewals are usually either year-end, or tied in with the Na Hoku balloting timeframe.

Remember too that, except for the paid part-time clerical person, HARA is an all-volunteer organization. The folks who keep it humming along, do it while also holding down full-time jobs and/or performing.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  05:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hi Retro, yeah , you got to track the status of your membership yourself. If you didn't receive your prelim ballot by now I think you were left out. I would like the voting schedule to be extended or the ballots given out a little earlier. As you know, there are so many bands and so much music, some of which I needed to search for on the internet, that you have to listen to justify your vote. I just did'nt have the time to research and vote in every category.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria
Remember too that, except for the paid part-time clerical person, HARA is an all-volunteer organization. The folks who keep it humming along, do it while also holding down full-time jobs and/or performing.
Forgive me, but I don't see that as an acceptable excuse - unless they are willing to correct their mistake and extend the voting period. I am awaiting an answer from Bryson on this front.

I renewed in time to receive the ballot; the check was cashed in time for them to send it to me as well.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Gregg,
Don't know if this applies to you, couple of yers ago my ballott was delayed in the mail - first class USPS doesn't guarantee that much to/from the Islands.

Also, I don't think it would be all that difficult to set up a data base that could autonmatically remind members that your 2 years are up, and it would be a nice courtesy. Hara membership isn't that large, and it could be phased in as renewals come in.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile
The HARA board and office has undergone a lot of change recently, Alan Yamamoto is no longer on the board and long time office manager Bonnie Ryder left recently as well. The new board is working VERY hard, I communicate with several of them regularly.

HARA membership is for two years, and in lieu of personalized reminders they send the same postcard out to everyone, so sometimes it's difficult to know if you need to pay again or not. Once I figured out what happened, Bryson got me a ballot very quickly. Gregg, the board DID extended the deadline to return prelim ballots by several weeks. Glad you got yours renewed and got the ballot back in time. I payed once a few years ago before my membership lapsed, and Bonnie notified me.

I'd urge patience with the new office person, Bryson, and the board. They are trying very hard to tighten up the ship and get the membership more active and involved. The more frequent newsletters are greatly appreciated. An improved dues notification system would be welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  2:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghyGregg, the board DID extended the deadline to return prelim ballots by several weeks. Glad you got yours renewed and got the ballot back in time.
Except that even though I renewed in time...I STILL haven't even RECEIVED my preliminary ballot (much less sent it back in.)
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghyGregg, the board DID extended the deadline to return prelim ballots by several weeks. Glad you got yours renewed and got the ballot back in time.
Except that even though I renewed in time...I STILL haven't even RECEIVED my preliminary ballot (much less sent it back in.)

Yikes, sorry if I misread your message. Yes, the original prelim date was sometime in the first week of April, they pushed it back to the 23rd. I knew the date the ballot went out and called about a week later when I didn't get mine. Gave Bryson my CC info over the phone and got the ballot about 2 days later.

Don't know how much more they could push it back and still have time to process the ballots and get the final out in time for the final ballot, but worth a call to the office.
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  11:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
Aloha Gregg,

I am one of the board members for HARA and I must apologize for any delay you experienced. I will be meeting with some of the other board members tomorrow and will rectify this problem you are having in a prompt manner. I will convey your concern, especially in light of the fact that HARA#699;s mainland members seem to need an additional timeframe to send their ballots back.
Also, due to the turnover in the office staff, the transition may have caused a few unforeseen glitches. Please bear with us, as we diligently work on your behalf.
Know that this is your organization, so any comments, concerns, and constructive criticisms can be fielded to 808-593-9242 or email at bryson @ hara-nahokuhanohano.com. We do answer any and all emails.

Kenneth Makuakane
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  07:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha Kenneth,

I greatly appreciate the attention you and the board are giving to resolution of this issue - and look forward to seeing you here in Seattle next month.

Mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  7:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just to keep everyone informed - the Board of Directors discussed my concern today and have issued a very sincere and genuine apology for the unfortunate circumstances, along with an additional gesture of kindness, which I am happy to accept.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000