Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Power Tab Pointers Needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  09:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
I just loaded Powertab. I tried to import a MIDI type 0 file. It draws all the notes above the treble clef staff's top line. Probably its C4 as middle C reference. I choose 4 string instrument and GCEA ukulele, but with no effect on the treble clef staff location relative to musical notes. Can you change the middle C reference, so the notes appear where they belong (as shown in Cakewalk software I use)? I'm not using anything much higher than the A two tones above F at the top of treble clef staff.

Any other pointers to get the MIDI import to work?

How about how to do fingering that conforms to what one is using for ease of use?

First problem above eliminates usability of software because it drives all notes out of range where they can be recognized with ease.

Thank you.

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  05:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
That is the biggest problem with the PT software. You can't change the middle C reference. PT was written by a guitar player for guitar players and even though you can build a 4 string template and load an ukulele tuning you still have the issue with the notes not sitting well on the staff. I've had this issue from day one but I don't pay attention to the actual notes so it doesn't concern me. However, since it does effect others who want to read the only thing to do is use the 8va to place the notes better on the staff but that is also a compromise.

You will also note that the tuning dictionary is wrong for GCEA. It has the A an octave too low.
Good luck.

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  10:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Thanks! I thought I might have downloaded a corrupted copy of the software.

I changed the Global reference for middle C in my Cakewalk software to accomodate Powertab (C4), but it doesn't seem to make Powertab upload data in a logical and consistent manner. I reset the GCEA ukulele to G3-C3-E3-A3, to no effect.

I have no "works everytime" solution, but I find that if I do specify G3-C3-E3-A3 or G4-C4-E4-A4 for the ukulele when importing a MIDI file, I can then go into the "guitar" that is in use and through a not yet well defined process, can use the "offset" to shift the notes into the proper position. (There should be a definable process to overcome this for ukulele. This is software, after all, and the algorithm that it employs for importing files should permit a consistent workaround.) My last step has been to change the ukulele tuning. The result puts the notes on the right place on the staff and produces the proper sounding output relative to the octave that is being played. This has worked so far, but it doesn't seem to work consistently, even with MIDI type 0 files. (*Perhaps I'm the one who isn't being consistent.) I do appreciate the feedback. Nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. Anyone have a solution that works every time?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000