Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Classics CD library
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  12:35:22 PM  Show Profile
This question comes from my question about Hawaiian melodies.
I want to have a collection of original or nearly origin versions of the most popular classic Hawaiian standards.

I think they would probably come from vocal groups such as The Son's of Hawaii or Kahauanu Lake trio, etc.
With a few exceptions, I do not know which songs are considered classics.

The question is: If you were to start buying CD's to begin such a collection, which 5 to 10 CD's would you choose?

I need help with this because I am going to visit Mele.com sometime in the near future.

I do recall someone mentioning Eddie Kamae heading an effrot along these lines but not sure where to find it or if it is suitable to what I am looking for.

Thanks
Bob

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 05/12/2007 12:36:06 PM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Bob - I believe that if you start with this DVD from Eddie Kamae, you might be guided in your search. I got mine from amazon.com before I learned about Eddie's web site at: http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com

Eddie has done his darndest to document the music and to pay honor to the sources, for which I am grateful.
Dennis Kamakahi and Aaron Mahi are scholars on the Queen's music and that of the other ali`i. They were quite prolific song writers. You may also want to research the music of Kawena Pukui and Lena Machado.

WORDS, EARTH & ALOHA: The Source of Hawaiian Music (1995)

HSV #1040 - 60 Minutes - Color
Hawai‘i International Film Festival Silver Maile Award Winner

In Hawai‘i, music has always been much more than a form of entertainment. Through the centuries it has been a primary means of cultural continuity. This documentary pays tribute to a range of composers who flourished between the 1870s and the 1920s, and for whom Hawaiian was still a first language. The film explores the poetry and play of Hawaiian lyrics, as well as the places and features of the natural world that inspired songs still loved and listened to today.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Many of the classic albums are out of print and the current choices are many and varied. While there are many albums filled with generic hapa haole tunes, finding a high percentage of Hawaiian language standards is more of a challenge. I would consider George Kahumoku's Classic Hawaiian Hula series as a good starting place. He sings the songs very straight and plays them gently on his 12-string. Darlene Ahuna has an album of classic hulas. If you visit www.mele.com, you can browse the Hawaiian category and find many choices. One of the curiosities of Hawaiian music is that albums are often a conglomeration of mainland pop covers, Christian songs, Hawaiian songs and novelties from the island repertoire, so that you often get songs you don't really want in order to get the songs you do want. Isn't that the way it always goes?
I have enjoyed every Hui 'Ohana album (mainly from the 70s) because they are jam packed with classics. Ditto the Ho'opi'i Brothers, Auntie Genoa Keawe, Darlene Ahuna, Kawai Cockett, Raiatea Helm, Kimo Keaulana and Lei Hulu and Dennis Pavao.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  9:39:55 PM  Show Profile
I want to underline Dennis Pavao's work, especially on songs of the Monarchy, and the one album by George Helm. Lena Machado's "Hawaiian Songbird" is still available on CD. My knowledgable friends tell me that the Sons of Hawaii albums get pretty "close to the source". George K told me that the one Edith Kanaka'ole's CD you see around is very accurate.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I think you may like "Na Mele Paniolo", a double set CD recording of Hawaiian people in their natural environment on various islands. All classics to me with some more popular tracks, sometimes hard to recognize in these old versions. Inquire at the Honolulu Academy of Arts if you can't find it anywhere. Or try Borders.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 05/13/2007 8:35:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  09:15:56 AM  Show Profile
email Auntie Maria; she'll have as good recommedations as there are. I've asked her a bunch in the past and she's always right on.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  2:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I think you may like "Na Mele Paniolo", a double set CD recording of Hawaiian people in their natural environment on various islands. All classics to me with some more popular tracks, sometimes hard to recognize in these old versions. Inquire at the Honolulu Academy of Arts if you can't find it anywhere. Or try Borders.

I saw a copy when I was in their bookstore last year. They are also starting a series by the same name this year. I think their first concert was in April.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  06:01:52 AM  Show Profile
"Na Mele Paniolo" was produced by the Hawai`i State Foundation on Culture and the Arts in 1990 -- originally on cassette; re-released on CD in 2004. It is available only at museum gift shops here in the islands -- a double-CD set with large-ish booklet, that's a treasure! It's truly got the venerable "aunties & uncles" backyard music sounds. You might be able to find it on the Bishop Museum website. If not, try calling their gift shop (they do take phone orders).

FYI -- don't confuse this with "Na Mele O Paniolo: Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy", which is a completely different CD. This one was released in conjunction with Edgy Lee's marvelous film about Hawaii's beloved paniolo:
http://www.filmworkspacific.com/films_tv.html
"Paniolo O Hawai`i: Cowboys of the Far West"

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information everyone

At this stage, I realize that I have to look back in order to progress. I want to hear the original versions. Why? Because I need to decide if I want to perpetuate the arrangements I now play.
If I do, I want to know how they are different.
If I don't, I would consider doing my own arrangements.

I would still like to get suggestions if anyone has more.
Thanks
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile
John Kameaaloha Almeida 1897-1985
Lena Machado, Hawaiian Song Bird
Na Leo Hawai'i Kahiko (has chant as well as some hula ku'i songs)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  1:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Bob - here is a cut and paste of an earlier thread aabout "Kawika" by Sunday Manoa. The web site that Harry B. Soria is talking about has not only Kawika, but several other songs as well. The clips play portions of several different versions of the same song in ascending chronological order so you can hear how the earliest records sounded on up to the modern ones. It shows how the songs have been changed over the years. A very good learning tool is that web site.

Wanda

-
So pleased to learn that our Territorial Airwaves Tribute exhibit for "Kawika" at territorialairwaves.com has assisted your search for the roots of this piece. Our goal is to do precisely that: graphically illustrate how Hawaiian music evolved through the decades leading up to the Hawaiian Renaissance of the 1960s/1970s, and then beyond to this very day. Our desire is to share the recorded history of how Hawaiians have arranged their chant & mele over the years, so that western musical influences can be recognized during the evolution of each piece, through an exhibit edited down to a few minutes in length. We will continue adding more exhibits for your enjoyment.
Mahalo plenty,
Harry B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry B. Soria, Jr.
Territorial Airwaves
Visit the Territory of Hawaii at:
www.territorialairwaves.com
Your Source for the History of Hawaiian Music

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly