Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Putting in tuning machines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a question about modifying an old uke and I'd like to put it through this board first. I got some ukes that used to be my great-grandmother's, they're about 90 years old...so while they're nothing fancy, they obviously have some sentimental value.

However, I'd still like to be able to play them. And unfortunately, they use the friction tuners, sort of like a violin, where you push in the tapered pegs while tuning them. On at least one of them, I was thinking to replace these tuners with some kind of tuning machines, which I *think* I've seen done.

So what I'm wondering is: will this procedure work out OK on an old uke? It won't damage the instrument, will it? Do these machines work pretty good, or am I just as good staying with the pegs? And am I committing some kind of uke heresy?

Also, I'm wondering where would be a good place to get the work done. Either in the SF Bay Area, or Oahu. Thanks,

Jeff

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Heresy? Oh, probably. So what.

I expect it will make the headstock heavier and the uke will feel different to hold. In the Ukulele Occasional, Frank Ford describes how to make those wooden pegs work smoothly again. He also has some info online at Frets.com, but not as much as in the magazine.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Nanuke of NJ
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  7:45:47 PM  Show Profile
It's funny, but some of the cheapest, and on the other end, some of the most expensive ukes use geared tuners. Friction tuners are pretty standard on 'middle-gound' ukes. I just got a Fluke and it's got Grovers - forget the model right now - not bad. I had hoped to get some Waverly geared tuners for it, but the headstock is just too narrow. I'll live with the frictions. You might try www.stewmac.com and check out their selection. I've heard that "5-star" geared dulcimer tuners (available at stewmac) are lighter than their banjo counterparts and would give you that 'trad' look.

Nanuke
Go to Top of Page

Nanuke of NJ
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  7:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Ahh... forgot something. I have a flamenco guitar that has those "violin" style pegs. I'm at work now, so I don't have a name for you, but there is a lubricant that comes in a tube - kind of like chap-stik - that is intended for these pegs. Makes them work like a dream, but use it SPARINGLY, or they will slip until it wear out. I bought mine at a local music store.

Nanuke
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  01:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jeff. You might try Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto to see if they can do the work for you. Their phone number is 888 493-2131. Let us know how it works out. I have a soprano uke that I wish had geared tuners. Also, there is a Uke workshop with Hiram Bell at Gryphon on 1/11/03 if you are interested. The cost is $30 and you have to reserve a ticket.
Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  10:50:09 PM  Show Profile
I bought a beautiful Tony Graziano pineapple soprano, and the tuners worked fine until I got to an open mike one night at the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz meeting, and one tuner was so loose, I could not keep it tuned. Probably somewhat embarrassing for Tony, who sat in the front row...So I asked him to replace mine with the 8:1 geared type, and I'm much happier now. I plan on changing my others as well.
They're so much simpler to fine-tune, and after all, it's the sound I'm after. It may be best to have a professional do that work, I know for myself I would not want to even consider doing it myself. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000