Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 CamCorder Sound
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I tried to video myself playing this weekend. The results were okay, but I would have liked to had a good remote mic, close to my guitar, going into the DV Camcorder instead of the built in one. I don't think there is a way to get a condensor mic patched in.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do good sound with a DV Camcorder?

Bob

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
If you don't have a mic or line in jack on your camera, you will have to record to a separate recorder then marry the audio and video in post when you create your DVD. I'm selling a very nice recorder that I've used for this, a Marantz PMD670. It's on Ebay right now. You can check the results at http://www.youtube.com/franguidry

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 07/02/2007 10:08:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  04:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I do have a mic in. Just not sure how to get a good mic patched into it.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  06:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ahhhhhh, next questions, mono or stereo? Line or mic level?

Let's assume mic level, with "plug in power" - 15V on one leg. This is the common configuration of consumer electronics, like your PC soundcard, minidisc recorder, inexpensive flash recorder. You can either buy a mic that matches that spec:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com

or use a preamp with an existing mic. If you have an existing mic and preamp or mixer, plug your mic into that, then connect to the camera with various adapter plugs and cables. Something like a 1/4 phone female to 1/8 mini male will get you from a standard guitar cable into the camera, probably.

****Edit****

I just checked specs on a couple of cameras and it looks like the usual input is a stereo minijack. In that case you'll either want a stereo mic (see Soundprofessionals again or) like this Audio Technica AT822 http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=86998.0 going used for $166. See full specs here: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/665bdf92967733dc/index.html

or your connection from you mic preamp will need a mono to stereo conversion as well. This can be handled by various Radio Shack adapters or custom made cables if you can handle a soldering iron.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 07/03/2007 06:54:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  05:34:23 AM  Show Profile
I was out of web for three days. Talk about pain and suffering! :)

Fran: thanks, I will try to connect from a tascam recorder to the stero mini with shack adapters.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  12:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
If you have the docs for your camera I would check to confirm mono/stereo. Also to seek out a line in connector. If you're going from a preamp, like the line out of your recorder, you'll need to manage your levels very carefully going into a mic input on the camera. Otherwise, it should work fine.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Depending on your budget and the quality of mic(s) you want to use you may want to look into these:

http://www.buybeachtek.com/BBTCAT-XLR%20Adapters.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the additional information Fran and Craig. I am not sure wich way I will go--the pre-amps Craig linked to seemed to be the best choice for me but I may try adapters first.
My cam is a Panasonic PV-GS400 DAT w/stero.

BTW, If any one has a cam avaiable, I would suggest taping your self. It can show things you may want to know.
For me, what I had though of as being "into the music" actually looked way too serious and I also made occational quirky head movents. So, now when I practice, I aslo work on looking more content and happy...it comes off much better that way.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I certainly agree that video is a great learning tool.

The adapters will cost in the neighborhood of $10. The unit shown at the link above costs $170 and doesn't provide phantom power, so it won't support conventional condenser mics. The unit at the same site that does provide phantom power is $350.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
A basic mic powered by its own battery, or a plug-in power type recommended by the camera manufacturer is probably all you need to make acceptable videos.
Try these lower cost ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR25-Stereo-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00006J04Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-4290058-5792963?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183854386&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-PRO24-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0002YLDZA/ref=pd_bbs_7/102-4290058-5792963?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183854670&sr=8-7
http://www.amazon.com/High-performance-SMX-10-Stereo-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000GE403I/ref=pd_bbs_10/102-4290058-5792963?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183854670&sr=8-10

Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  9:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

The unit shown at the link above costs $170 and doesn't provide phantom power, so it won't support conventional condenser mics. The unit at the same site that does provide phantom power is $350.

True, but both these units offer portability that the mixer/adapter route doesn't and the $170 unit does support dynamic mics, which you're most likely to be using in a portable scenario anyway. It all depends on what equipment you own already and what you want to accomplish.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  02:50:25 AM  Show Profile
I am just going to do home rather than in-the-field recordings so I do want to use a condensor mic. If I were recording out of the house, I would probably use a dynamic, then the pre-amps would be a good choice.
Thanks for bringing the phantom power to my attention Fran.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Then the adapter route would be the way to go if you already have a mixer/preamp Bob.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  1:53:13 PM  Show Profile
All right!
I tried the adapters and patched in and out of my Tascam and into the cam. All I had to do was manually adjust the volume.
The great thing about this is that I can mix the undersaddle and condenser mic and then EQ the results in stereo or mono. Now I can put the cam at any distance or angle and still have a mic up close to the guitar. That is what I wanted. I get a little noise--not sure from where-- but it can probably be removed in editing.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000