Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Owl's Lullabye by Clyde :Kindy" Sproat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  03:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Please listen to this sample of this beautiful mele. The sample is from Auntie amaria's web site: http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/na+mele+kupuna/

Is anyone aware of any other recordings of this beautiful song? Anyone have da chords? This is now my newest obsession. Where did it come from? It certainly doesn't "sound" like an "Hawaiian" song...but the story that Mr. Sproat tells makes it purely Hawaiian in heart. Oh, so plaintive, oh so beautiful. It is very simple...I can sing it easy enough...not complicated at all.

Matter of fact, the whole CD is pretty spectacular. He sings with such verve and gusto! And I absolutely love the talk story that goes along with the various mele. That makes it even more special.

Sounds to me like Clyde "Kindy" Sproat has done a great deal to preserve traditional music. Has he ever been awarded honors or anything for that effort?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  06:54:53 AM  Show Profile
A quick search on the web reveals:

The Owl's lullaby / by Chas. D. Blake.

Blake, Chas. D..

CREATED/PUBLISHED
Chicago: White, Smith & Co., 1881.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be a Bavarian influenced tune. Some years ago lots of
Hawaiians also took a liking to the song "Edelweiss".

Could be due to a great Germanic music influence in Hawaii
caused by so many Germans in important Music positions. For
instance, the leader of the Royal Hawaiian band and Orchestra was
usually a German. Queen Liliuokulani's music tutors were often
German too (usually the Royal Hawaiian Band leader) There is also
German heritage in Keola Beamers family (the famous Von Trapps, if
I remember correctly), etc, etc.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/03/2007 07:03:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
I wonder if it is the same one he sings in "Na Mele Paniolo"? He talks a little bit about it there.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Okay, this is kind of off the top of my head. The "Owl's Lullaby" is Kindy's signature song. Although I haven't seen Kindy in years I can call him a friend. He is the real deal as far as far as being a cowboy, storyteller, husband, father, tutuman and falsetto singer. Unlike most of the Hawaiian artists today who were raised in an urban or suburban setting, Kindy was born and raised in the country. I think he may have over a thousand songs in his repertoire -- I'm not quite sure. His vocal range is quite extraordinary and he is known for his leo ki‘eki‘e.

He started learning Hawaiian songs from his mom when he was very young when they lived in Honokäneiki valley out by Waipi‘o. As far as I can remember his father helped build and maintain the Hamakua ditch, which brought water to the plantation in Honoka‘a. I first met him about twenty years ago during a concert tour of the islands on a grant from the State foundation of Culture and the Arts. This tour also featured Sonny, Ray Kane, Haunani Apoliona and Myra English.

As an artist Kindy is a very gifted storyteller and performer. He is one of the few Hawaiian artists capable of truly opening up a window to the past -- and telling you the story behind the song and sometimes the kaona -- the deeper meaning. His concerts are enchanting. He has toured quite a bit and The Big Island's annual falsetto contest is named in honor of him. He is a recipient of National Endowment for the Arts Heritage Fellowship and is considered one of Hawaii's living legends. He did a cassette album a few years back and I just saw a CD the other day with the same songs it may have been a CD reissue. The Na Paniolo CD has the "Owl's Lullaby" on it.

PM
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  08:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Some years ago a friend gave me a copy of the cassette Na Mele Paniolo and last year when we were in Honolulu we happened by the Honolulu Academy of Arts and, of course, into the Academy Shop. I saw it there but did not partake. Now it is listed on their website in a 2 CD format with a 48 page booklet, including artists profiles and song translations. Kindy is a featured performer but there are many others, some of whom passed away before the original cassette was actually produced.

It is a great source of traditional music. The original tapes were very basic as far as sound is concerned but it is right there with the Lomax Library of Congress recordings as a record of the roots of a musical tradition. Of course, the sound might be cleaned up a bit now, which would make the music even more listenable to some. I don't know if it has or not. But when I first heard the tapes years ago it got me very interested both paniolo and their mele. (As many of my students can attest to today!)

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile
If you can lay your hands on the 2-CD set "Na Mele Paniolo", grab it. I too had the double-cassette original release -- but those recordings have indeed been cleaned up for the CD release, and the accompanying booklet has lyrics, translations, photos, and wonderful biographical and historical information too.

As for "Owl's Lullaby", here's what is said in the booklet:
This is a song that Clyde learned as a boy growing up in the remote valley of Honokane Iki on the island of Hawai`i. Clyde recalls that his mother had an old Victrola phonograph in the 1930's and this song was on one of their records. The "Owl's Lullaby" became the favorite family song to close out an evening of singing.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:36:25 PM  Show Profile
I have the Edgy Lee film "Paniolo o Hawai`i" which features Clyde and other paniolo talking story, and I have "Na Mele Kupuna" and "Na Mele O Paniolo" (see link to Auntie Maria's web site) .
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/songs+of+the+hawaiian+cowboy+-+na+mele+o+paniolo/
but I reckon that the one you guys are talking about is different? Is that one out of print?

Here is a great clip of him singing on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzkSmeKwBno Is this the same as the song done by Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau about the girl in the yellow holoku?

I found mention of another recording on the Star Bulletiin web site, but cannot find it anywhere else:

Sproat sings about home

Clyde Halema'uma'u Sproat Sings...
Self-titled (Pololu), CD
THIS gem of an album by Clyde Sproat grew out of a series of performances at the Honolulu Academy of Arts in 1993. Produced and annotated to the same superb standards as George Winston's Dancing Cat slack-key series, it provides a perfect portrait of the artist, his music and his heritage.

Sproat is a thoroughly engaging musician and storyteller. This collection captures him at his best.

Each song is annotated with the Hawaiian lyrics, a basic English translation, and an account of why Sproat chose to do it. Almost all relate in one way or another to the Sproat family or the Big Island district of North Kohala where he was born and raised. Sproat's in-concert comments about his songs add further insights to this perfect album.

Longtime residents will cherish this disc. Newcomers will find no better introduction to Sproat's old-style Big Isle music.

I found the following on the Folklife web site, which also provides a small recorded sample of "The Owl's Lullabye" http://www.folklife.si.edu/hawaii/clyde.htm

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Kindy has released 2 solo CDs -- the first one is out of print, but the 2nd is still available:

"Sings Songs.."
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/sings+songs+and+stories+of+hawai%60i/

"Na Mele Kupuna"
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/na+mele+kupuna/

He is included in:
"Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy" (still available)
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/songs+of+the+hawaiian+cowboy+-+na+mele+o+paniolo/

"Musics of Hawai`i" (available from Smithsonian)
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/musics+of+hawai%60i/

"Na Mele Paniolo" (available only from museums in Hawai`i)
http://data.honoluluacademy.org/detail.php?Item=0647

And the gorgeous documentary "Paniolo O Hawai`i" by Edgy Lee:
http://www.filmworkspacific.com/films_tv.html
(can be ordered online)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  09:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Dear Auntie Maria: Thank you so much for being such a good reference for these recordings. I right away ordered the one from the Honolulu Academy of the Arts. For those of you who want to order it, they do not take credit card info over the internet. They want your phone number and e-mail and they will contact you to get payment info.

Filmworks Pacific send the films very quickly after you order. I ordered just about everything she made about Hawai`i. We saw them advertised on the in-room hotel channel when we stayed Waikiki. They showed little snippets of the films on the hotel TV and I decided they were something that we needed to have. All the films are very well made. Edgy Lee is one really swell film-maker. She makes very classy productions. Now I am going to go and track down the Musics of Hawai`i from the Smithsonian. I have seen clips of the film on You Tube or somewhere, and have been trying to track down the film as well.

Note: just found where to get it from Smithsonian:
http://www.folkways.si.edu/search/AlbumDetails.aspx?ID=2055#
They have music samples you can listen to.

Anyhow....Mahalo nui loa, Auntie Maria. You da best!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/05/2007 09:30:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  04:09:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Wanda,

Clyde "Kindy" Sproat is my idol. I was transfixed by the Owl's Lullaby just as you were.

Just for fun - check out my version of Owl's Lullaby - I sing it perched in a pine tree in Central Park:

www.ukuleledisco.com/owlslullaby

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  08:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Claudia - Thank you so much for sharing your music. It is absolutely beautiful. Your voice is lovely and the way you sing the song is divine. Sweet. It sounds to me like a down home W. Va. -type song. That is probably why I feel so drawn to it.

Thanks once again for sharing. You've got talent!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Today I listened to the mele and typed out the words. Paul wrote down da chords and played it on da geetah (no slack key - just regulah kine) and we sang it togeddah. Didn't sound half bad. Gonna work on it. Anyone want lyrics and chords, let me know.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  2:47:48 PM  Show Profile
OK Wanda,

Since you appreciate "down home" music so much, I have one more clip for you:

www.ukuleledisco.com/wildwoodflower

Sorry to get off topic, but it's just for this one post!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  10:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Claudia - that Wildwood Flower was pretty swell. You even sang all the words! Onliest times I heard anyone to rival your rendition were June Carter and Mother Maybelle. I love your voice. And that web site has plenty more swell stuff to listen to.

Hey, and Andy....you're not too shabby yourself, bud. And all da rest. And I sure liked watching the hula, especially "Ka Uluwehi o ke Kai".

Mahalo to all youse guys (youse -- that's NYC dialect, yeah?).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  02:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Menpachi Man and Wanda for your sweet words! I am glad you enjoyed the video clips.

Yes, that is our beloved Admin on that website singing "Island Style" so well! The hula dancers are from Na Lehua Melemele here in NYC. Aren't they beautiful? And "Uluwehi O Ke Kai" comes from the annual Hawaiian picnic here in Central Park. Just some samples of what the NYC 'ohana is up to!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000