Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 `Ulili E
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:33:51 AM  Show Profile
love how Dennis & David Kamakahi do `Ulili E. Can anyone explain how to play that riff at the beginning? I take it that is Dennis on the guitar, yeah? I'm gonna make Paul learn how to do that on guitar. He does it on the dulcimer but not the intro part. I can sing a few of the verses, but my tongue gets all twisted because it goes so fast and my mouth is so slow. Also have trouble with the "ahahana `ulili ehehene `ulili ahahana" part. Help!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  06:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

love how Dennis & David Kamakahi do `Ulili E. Can anyone explain how to play that riff at the beginning? I take it that is Dennis on the guitar, yeah? I'm gonna make Paul learn how to do that on guitar. He does it on the dulcimer but not the intro part. I can sing a few of the verses, but my tongue gets all twisted because it goes so fast and my mouth is so slow. Also have trouble with the "ahahana `ulili ehehene `ulili ahahana" part. Help!

I would be hard-pressed to explain in words how to play the riff at the beginning of `Ulili E (and I don't write musical notation). But there is something noteworthy about that intro: It is an homage to the originators of that intro, Eddie Kamae and Gabby Pahinui. The arrangement that Dennis and David perform replicates the original interplay between Eddie and Gabby from their 1963 LP "Gabby Pahinui and the Sons of Hawaii" on Hula Records.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
The first time I heard this song on "Ohana" I searched out my Martin Simpson disc with the tune "Essequibo River" and was surprised with the similarity. The melody was somewhat close for a while, with a different feel. Both songs are great to my ears.

Intro I hear is " C E G Bb A G G " note wise for starters. Can't help with lyrics at all. Just starting my FIRST vocal with some Hawaiian lyrics.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000