Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lono--must-have music from Hawaii
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  2:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
I got back from Moloka`i about 3 weeks ago, or so, and have just now dug myself out enough to do more than lurk.

AMC, as others have already described, was another great experience. But I'm too late to add much...

What has been burning at me to post about is the music I brought back by Lono. Tommy Cheng already put in a plug for him several months ago (forgive me for my redundancy). Lono plays at the Hotel Moloka`i every Saturday, but despite having stayed on the island 4 times now I hadn't until this last time gotten a chance to see him. He is a pretty low-key kind of performer (doesn't tend to get in the way of your drinks and dinner at the bar), but he plays and sings some of the best Hawaiian music out there. He calls it Hawaiian folk music and he has three albums he calls "Old Style" (he has some other music out that I have not heard, which pre-dates these).

I highly recommend these Old Style albums to any Hawaiian music fans out there. His discs have been on a constant rotation in my CD player since I got back. You can check out samples at lonomusic.com

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  4:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Lono is top notch...both singing and slack key. His voice is quite unique. He appears to be a fresh new face. I am not certain how old he is or how long he has been playing music. He seems pretty low key for one with such talent. Lucky you go Moloka`i, lucky you see Lono.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  4:40:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Lono is top notch...both singing and slack key. His voice is quite unique. He appears to be a fresh new face. I am not certain how old he is or how long he has been playing music. He seems pretty low key for one with such talent. Lucky you go Moloka`i, lucky you see Lono.

I knew him in the mid to late 1980s when he was gigging on Maui, so he's been around at least 20 years, probably a bit longer. Back then he was doing more rock and contemporary kinds of music and not as much traditional Hawaiian, though he did some. At least on the gigs I saw him play.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  6:50:13 PM  Show Profile
I got 2 of his CDs this trip, really like'm :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
His mother introduced herself to me at the Kalama Days event last year; she had a CD with five songs from the album he was working on at the time (Old Style III), and we played it over the sound system between acts - people LOVED it. I reviewed the album here: http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/greggfeb07.htm
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  12:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
I just read Retro's review of Lono's music. He does a much better job than I. Check out the link he posted. Thanks Gregg. I figure there are at least a few folks in this audience who like Hawaiian music. If they haven't given this guy a listen, they're missing some really quality stuff.

Lono was also nice enough to play a request for `Ulupalakua the night we were there. Chris, Tommy, and I got bamboozled into dancing the kane hula we had worked on at camp. With apologies to Liko, it was not our best effort, but everybody seemed to like it

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 08/02/2007 1:16:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  12:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I had the chance to see Lono a few years ago performing at Ala Moana Center on the center stage. He was awesome!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  1:35:36 PM  Show Profile
So I checked at Auntie Maria's, and Old Style I and II are both out of print. What's a girl to do??? :-O

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  2:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

So I checked at Auntie Maria's, and Old Style I and II are both out of print. What's a girl to do??? :-O

aloha,
Sarah

Aloha from New Jersey! Pehea `oe?

When I find myself in the out-of-print-what-is-a-girl-(or boy)-to-do situation, I go to three sources:

www.gemm.com
www.half.com
www.amazon.com

This time around GEMM and Half.com are a bust, but there are several copies of "Old Style" I and II at amazon.com.

I think I have a different take on Lono... I have heard him in person and I have the two CDs above, and I hear him more as a "tribute artist" - by which I mean that rather than seeking fresh, new arrangements and approaches, Lono's old style in most cases means recreating (often note-for-note) the same arrangements of these songs taken from recordings of long, long ago. His music is most reminiscent of the work of The Sons of Hawai`i. Lono recreates those old arrangements - right down to the intros and endings - almost perfectly, and he can because he is technically very gifted both vocally and with the guitar. But when I hear his music, I feel the same way I do when I hear Antonio Hart: Why would I want to hear Antonio Hart do Miles Davis when I could just listen to Miles Davis?

For an example of what I mean, check out the soundclips at Lono's website. The arrangement of "Waialae" is the same as Gabby's band performed it on the "Rabbit Island Music Festival" album, and the arrangements of "Ku`u Lei Mokihana" and "Aloha Ka Manini" are the same as Gabby's arrangements from the "Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band, Volume 1" album. And on and on and on.

Lono is extremely gifted. But my wish would be to hear him push the envelope a little bit - keeping tradition while moving it forward an inch or two.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  2:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e bill,

i don't know, i've never heard anyone do "holoholo ka'a" like lono does. and, his "hanohano rough riders" with the minor chords in the pa'ani, nice!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

slackpup
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  4:04:47 PM  Show Profile
All 3 Lono albums seem to be available at www.lonomusic.com.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

Lono is extremely gifted. But my wish would be to hear him push the envelope a little bit - keeping tradition while moving it forward an inch or two.
Then I think you would like Vol. 3 more than the first two - mostly originals on there.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  03:38:06 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Bill,

Maika'i no au, pehea mai no 'oe? Mahalo nui no ka 'ike -- thanks a bunch for the info. I'll check that out and also lonomusic.com (thanks, slackpup).

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  5:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Bill I must disagree. I think Lono may sort of sound like others but I still think he has his own voice. That's like saying every falsetto singer with a uke sounds like Aunty Genoa. Now you know that is not true. The song choices may be a tribute but that influence on a musician is very strong. That's why some players choose what they record very carefully. Somehow though we can't ignore how the masters have shaped our way of playing. Maybe someday I'll be able to emulate Yo Yo Ma but even he had to listen to others and read classical music and play the music note for note until he got so well known he could break the mold. It takes a while to become an individual and it is especially hard to do in the world of music.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Maybe someday I'll be able to emulate Yo Yo Ma...
I want to be there when you do, brah. Front row, applauding loudest of all. (Wait --- I didn't see a cello at your place...you FULLA surprises!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000