Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Beyond the reef Again
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dam_wOm1Qac

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 02/08/2008 12:57:39 AM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  12:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Basil,

I do not quite get the point of your post. Is this your friend, enemy, both?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Basil,
I don't agree with your critique and believe the opposite, Mark Occhianiro is good for us all to see how the uke can help us enjoy ourselves. He may not be Gabby, but he plays with as much heart. The intracacies of his playing is not apparent by the ease at which he sings and picks. I play like that myself. You might not like me either, that's ok.
There are many different kinds of people here in the taropatch who have many differing opinions and approaches to Hawaiian music and music in general. It's all good. There are many paths in the music world. I have learned to be patient and ignore those who have not gone the route I have in the music world. We need to allow everyone to persue their happiness and not dictate what everyone should be doing. (Did I say that?...)
Anyway, please be nice to Mark and Andy... Mahalo
Hiram

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  1:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Hiram! Is that you? Some people play well and some people play..Welll. But it is not our place to criticize. Where it happens is when we land a gig or not, whether we record or not. I am not a recording star or artist. But a lot of people have positive comments after they hear me play. Are they just being nice or do they just want to encourage me. I don't know and sometimes it doesn't matter. But I try not to be mean because it will come back and bite me where it hurts.
I admit that sometimes I don't play in public with novices because my ego says that I want to play a good set. Yet sometimes the novice has something other than skill to bring to the mix. When that happens I am humbled.
Remember the most memorable sessions are usually the backyard unpublished ones that we remember and carry to the grave.
The preservation of something isn't always in the hands of the professional. Our mothers may be more responsible for what we cherish and carry on rather than some recording played by a professional who can be perfect in their skill yet heartless in their treatment of others.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Well at least the link got me to notice a performer I had never heard of before. Did anyone notice "beyond the reef" and several other songs featuring Marty Robins guitar/vocals and Jerry byrd playing doboro? Never heard of Jerry before but those two guys played realy well.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  4:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, Basil and I traded emails offline. It's all good. I hope Basil will stick around and share with us.

I guess I come from a school that says, "If you don't have something good to say, then don't say it." On the other hand, taste in music is so subjective. What makes one person's ears bleed is someone else's favorite. Maybe, as pop culture seems to repeatedly show us, there is no such thing as bad publicity?

quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

I have learned to be patient and ignore those who have not gone the route I have in the music world. We need to allow everyone to persue their happiness and not dictate what everyone should be doing. (Did I say that?...)
LOL, Hiram. You too speak your mind and the parentheses cracked me up.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  5:37:17 PM  Show Profile
E haole boy. I always wanted to say that. Jerry Bird is a steel guitar legend. Most of today's players went through him. Bobby Ingano, Alan Akaka, Owana Salazar and so on. I learned from him until he got sick and passed on. I still can't play the dang thing. But I practice. I guess I feel I'm not ready to jam yet cause Jerry set the standard I am trying to meet. He played with everybody. Elvis, Chet Atkins, Hank WIlliams etc. the list is endless since he was around before Basil has been. Check out his music he is more than not bad.

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  01:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Jerry Bird is a steel guitar legend. Most of today's players went through him. Bobby Ingano, Alan Akaka, Owana Salazar and so on. I learned from him until he got sick and passed on. Check out his music he is more than not bad.

More than not bad? A master of hyperbole you are, Al! Many say that he was the greatest technician of the steel guitar that ever lived!

Oh, and add to the list of Jerry's distinguished haumana Paul Kim and Casey Olsen. You are so lucky to have met, known, and studied with him.

You will hear Jerry a lot on my radio program as he was possibly the most recorded steel guitarist in Hawai`i, and I will do an entire hour special on him to celebrate his birthday next March.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  08:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

I admit that sometimes I don't play in public with novices

I...ummm...uhhh...

Considering that I consider myself a novice (perhaps I should not have admitted that to you?), I am both honored and flattered that you have invited me to join you in public on more than one occasion.

Al - you are one of those folks for whom music just seems to appear "natural." You don't draw attention with fancy technique (though I'd wager you have more than a few tricks in you), you play with an enchanting and inviting warmth - it makes people just want to listen. You have a wide repertoire, a comfortable stage presence (experience shows), and musical flexibility. We're lucky that you've joined our community around here.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Well thank you retro. You have the heart I mentioned that humbles me. Now I must go out and buy a bigger hat.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
{{{ Group Hug!!! }}}

Okay - that's enough of that. I really need to get back on-task, looking for a new job. Oh - but it's time for lunch! *zip!*
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile
we can call this the retro/no'eau hour or better yet the no'eau/retro hour.

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  3:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Basil Henriques

Then Why am I admonished for being a critic in this instance, especially when the subject in question is performing in public and portraying the Ukulele and the song in such amateurish and negative manner to the rest of the world, It simply cannot be helpful to either the promotion of the Ukulele as a serious musical instrument, or of Hawaiian (albeit in this instance, Tin Pan alley type Happa Haole) songs.

For starters, Basil, the performance in question was not amateurish; it simply wasn't on a professional level. The answer to whether or not such a performance can be "helpful" to the perpetuation of Hawaiian music is an unqualified yes. Even though we laugh a century after the heyday of Tin Pan Alley - college students wearing raccoon skin hats and playing their `ukulele at pep rallies and singing "Boola Boola" (the Yale fight song, which was written by a Hawaiian by the way) - Hawaiians acknowledge that the Tin Pan Alley movement was an important contribution to the promulgation of Hawaiian music since the content of the songs spoke of the beauty of Hawai`i and the `ukulele found popularity on the mainland. Equally important are the instances of Hawaiian songs offered up by Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, or Elvis Presley or the frantic hip-swaying and `ukulele-strumming of Bugs Bunny in the classic Warner Brothers cartoons - if only because they introduced Hawaiian sounds and Hawaiian themes to a wider audience. Likewise, it is important that anyone interested in playing Hawaiian music not be discouraged to the point that they stop because Hawaiian music is first and foremost about aloha, about sharing, and about spreading our mutual love of Hawai`i and its people. It is not about breeding the next generation of recording artists.

I feel particularly sorry for our "Beyond The Reef" friend. He is not a recording artist who has released a CD of his music to be criticized publicly. He posted a home video purely for entertainment's sake - completely oblivous to the fact that he was opening himself up to such criticism. If he were promoting himself as professional and selling his services as a musician, then perhaps we would expect a higher caliber of musicianship and the criticism would be warranted. But I bet he never imagined that his most humble musical offering would get disseminated to professional musicians and that he would be judged by the same criteria as recording artists. I am ashamed for you, Basil.

I believe it is the kuleana of everyone interested in Hawaiian music to do their small part to preserve the culture - whether it be the professionals who record CDs and perform at Carnegie Hall or the amateurs who strum their `ukulele and pluck their slack key guitars in their own backyard. When we begin to discourage them as musicians, we also begin to discourage their interest in Hawaiian music and culture. That is pitiful.

quote:
Whether you like it or not, the vox populi, away from this and other minority groupings perceive Hawaiian music as being beautiful, and in Europe in particular, having as its signature sound, the falsetto vocal voicings, Ukulele AND the Hawaiian Steel Guitar.

Agreed, but beauty is in the eye - or in this case, ear - of the beholder. There are lots of different criteria for evaluating the beauty of Hawaiian music. There are some professionals who lack musicianship but whose accurate use of the Hawaiian language is inspirational to me. As Hawaiian music is an oral tradition and the power - or mana - of the word is far more important to the Hawaiian people than how agile one is with a guitar, I judge the beauty of Hawaiian music first on the poetry and the expressive delivery of those words. Others may point first to musicianship and technique, but that is not all there is to Hawaiian music.

An excellent example is Jerry Byrd. He was one of the greatest technicians - possibly the greatest - of the steel guitar that ever lived. But debate still rages over whether or not his playing was uniquely "Hawaiian" in terms of his style and approach. His playing was not like other greats of the instrument such as Jules Ah See, Jake Keli`ikoa, David Keli`i, Barney Isaacs, Tommy Castro, or a host of others. Jerry was in a class by himself. But the question remains whether or not that class was "Hawaiian."

I was not terribly upset when you criticized the video for not being very good. But I take personal offense at your assertion that the video is not very "Hawaiian." Because Hawaiian is not a musical style, but first and foremost an ethnic identity. I am a "musician who performs Hawaiian music" - as opposed to a "Hawaiian musician" - and that is not merely a linguistic nuance. As a haole performing Hawaiian music, I take my lumps and criticisms all the time. But I leave the critique of whether or not my music is "Hawaiian" enough to the Hawaiian people.

quote:
As Edwin Pouncy of EMI said on one of my album's sleeve notes...

Most importantly, what sets Hawaiian music - and its musicians - apart from any other musical genre is aloha and ha`aha`a. If the music speaks of love of the land, love of people, and love of all things Hawaiian, then Hawaiians are very accepting of the music you have to offer and very forgiving of the performer's mistakes - professional and amateur alike. If the music is delivered with utmost humility, then the performer will have made friends for life. As my experiences in Hawai`i - as a tourist, as a musician, and as a human being - have borne out, who you are is far more important to Hawaiians than what you can do. In Hawai`i, humility will win more friends than talent.

When I was younger and even more foolish than I am now, I thought I could perform Hawaiian music convincingly without ever having visited the islands. I figured... If Ernest Hemingway could write about a war without ever having fought one, I could perform Hawaiian music without going to Hawai`i. I was wrong. Once I visited Hawai`i for the first time, I realized what my music was lacking - the spirit of aloha. Because, after all, that is what all Hawaiian music is about, and if you ain't got that, you ain't got nothing.

The frequent posting of royalty schedules, liner note endorsements, and on and on and on is not in keeping in the spirit of aloha and completely lacking in ha`aha`a. These things do not make one an expert, and they do not endear one to others. Who you are is far more important to Hawaiians than what you can do. I don't wish to speak for an entire forum, but to me personally, your resume and "personal achievements" are not nearly as important to me as your spirit. It could be me, but your contributions to this forum to date seem largely self-congratulatory - even those intended to instruct and inform. Slipping in your "accomplishments" at every turn is neither aloha nor ha`aha`a.

quote:
I feel that to dispense platitudes 'Willy Nilly' is not constructive, whilst the Hawaiians attitude of not to say anything bad about ANYONE, is prevalent and to be kind amongst like minded people would be the norm, not only for the Hawaiian culture but loving people everywhere, in this instance I think that to stand firm and try and maintain a decent standard and "Yardstick" would be more appropriate.

Nobody is dispensing platitudes 'Willy Nilly.' It is simply that this instance of "Beyond the Reef" on YouTube did not warrant a criticism of any kind because the performer was not a professional and did not urge or trick you into shelling out $16.95 for their work. It was an unwarranted attack and one delivered with scorn and sarcasm, at that. If your comments about the video were at all constructive, you wouldn't be under fire right now. But your comments were downright mean-spirited in a forum that does not take that lightly.

I am still finding my talent, but with the help of Hawaiian friends, I think I have found my aloha. Here's hoping you find yours...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  12:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
It was Bill's comment that made me see the error of my ways..

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Basil, I have always been in awe of your vast knowledge and true dedication in preserving and perpetuating the music that captivates us all, at this forum. I have learned so much from your discussions at this and the other forums you contribute to. I also have so much gratitude and admiration for Bill Wynne. I look back to his original Podcasts of "Ho'olohe hou" as the spark that started a deeper desire within me to try and learn more about Hawaiian music.

It has been really gratifying and beneficial to us all since you and Bill have become good friends. Now the both of you can continue to exert all of your shared talents, knowledge and energy towards entertaining and sharing your knowledge with all of us.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  06:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Basil, I have always been in awe of your vast knowledge and true dedication in preserving and perpetuating the music that captivates us all, at this forum. I have learned so much from your discussions at this and the other forums you contribute to. I also have so much gratitude and admiration for Bill Wynne. I look back to his original Podcasts of "Ho'olohe hou" as the spark that started a deeper desire within me to try and learn more about Hawaiian music.

It has been really gratifying and beneficial to us all since you and Bill have become good friends. Now the both of you can continue to exert all of your shared talents, knowledge and energy towards entertaining and sharing your knowledge with all of us.

Sorry, we're too busy collaborating on our project.

As it turns out, Basil and I care about the same things to the same degree: Getting it right and making Hawaiian music as Hawaiian as possible. Given that there aren't hoardes of fans of Hawaiian music outside of Hawai`i (and even fewer players), these forums have become invaluable for meeting kindred spirits.

My next collaboration should be with Jesse Tinsley. (Call me, brah...)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000