Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Aloha NaheNahe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Boy, I hate to use Hawaiian words I don't completely understand. Sorry for any affront. None is intended, but I did want to say how much I admire the cultural inclinations of Hawaiians, and their ability to get along. Imagine, relatively small landmasses in the middle of a giant ocean, not unlike this web site in the midst of the ever-growing internet, add the concept of aloha, lots of skill and hard work, and a tolerant society, and they created a culture that fluorished for centuries.

(I've always wondered if Hawaiian navigators, who could make their way across the Pacific, would have ever been influenced by winds or tides that would carry them to the coast of North or South America, and whether there are any archaological discoveries that might support that.)

On a more relevant topic, I certainly hope that more Hawaiian artists post "how to" videos on YouTube. "Uncle Dave's" were terrific! The fellow teaching how to play "White Sandy Beach" using chords is great. (I actually tabbed a version out and got to the point where I can now strum it.) I still don't sound "Hawaiian". I can't even get close, but I'll keep listening and maybe learn a thing or two. I may never go to Hawaii, but I certainly enjoy the sound of Hawaii. The videos provide visual feedback along with the sound that is invaluable. Great stuff! Thanks to all who post Hawaiian ukulele instruction videos!

Thank you.

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  5:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Ditto. Uncle Dave's slack key ukulele videos are awesome. I really no can imagine wat he can do if he neva hurt his fingah. Wish I was back home in Hilo, I would definately take his class! I do wish that those gifted ukulele teachers would put some of their tricks - hints - watevas, online so that we all can learn from them, especially since some of us are not able to take lessons from anyone right now.

All those of you who post videos online ... BIG mahalo. If nothing else, knowing what 'can' be done on the ukulele, even if I no can, do um, will push me forward to keep on practicing. Tanks eh, you guys!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Absolute, winds and tides might be a problem for Hawaiian navigators getting to North America but a fine place to start if you are interested is the Polynesian Voyaging Society website. Tim Severin tried to beat the winds by sailing a raft from Vietnam north across the Pacific and wrote an interesting book about his attempt. (All of his books are interesting, I guess.) And Ben Finney's book on the original Hokule'a has some good material on the state of anthropological theory and sailing at that point in time. Since then he has written more academic stuff which is also very good. Nainoa Thompson is great. Some other anthropologists have chipped in with fascinating stuff and a few non-Polynesians have learned, or attempted to learn, Polynesian navigation techniques and written well about it. David Lewis is one of them. Plenty of material by sailors, also, although a lot of it is dated. (I was the editor of "The Spray," the journal of the Slocum Society years ago and met many of the people who then were pushing the envelope on long distance sailing, especially in the Pacific, at that time.) But the PVS is a great place to look into.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
In the spirit of sharing (as opposed to virtuosity) here's a uke video of me playing the song "Pua Liia".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKmQ9kP_ug
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  01:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - thank you so much for sharing this. It is a beautiful melody and you certainly did it justic. I am in awe of your varied talents.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  04:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
The navigation question was somewhat anthropological in nature (sorry about that). If the trade winds blow west along the equator, then turn south, I was wondering if there were any evidence of some ancient settlement or Polynesian artifacts from a brief settlement effort. Of course, that's just a wild thought. If you can find "small" islands in the middle of the Pacific, why not big continents?

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 08/09/2007 12:38:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  5:33:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
If you can find "small" islands in the middle of the Pacific, why not big continents?
I attended a San Francisco Bay Area Kamehameha Alumi Association educational affair called "explorations", at which Nainoa Thompson (one of the navigators of the Hokulea long distance sailing canoe), gave a presentation. These "KAA" events are very rewarding and I am extremely gratefull that they are willing to put these together on the U.S. Mainland.

Among other things, Nainoa presented some evidence of Polynesian visits to South America and Central America.

So I would guess that your supposition is correct, and perhaps there were visits by Polynesians to the Americas.

Research on this subject would be a very interesting topic indeed!!

You may be able to contact Nainoa thru the internet - try google-ing.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/09/2007 5:39:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  07:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Hey, Hapakid,

Nice work (you backlit man of mystery you!)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000