Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 KORG CA-30, Tuner?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  06:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I thought we were on the subject of tuning and tuner usage. You fallas try da phone or talk face to face. Auwe!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Gary,
There are some terrific slack key players near you. They used to get together in Fairfield or Vacaville. Fran Guidry posted early in this thread (asked which C Wahine) and is an outstanding slack key player. I think the answer to your original query is easier demonstrated than written about. I meant no ofennse when I said "use your ear" first to tune to, it is actually easier than it "sounds" (pun intended). Some of the slack key books are unclear whether you tune up or down from one tuning to the next.

From your (chuckle) colorful and uniquely Hawaiian description of the string break
quote:
den da string wen buckalosse like one kite
I had assumed you went WAY up instead of down.

For by ear from F Wahine to C Wahine: (1) Keep the low (#6) C string the same=C, (2) fret the seventh fret on the 6th string for the G and tune the 5th string up from F to G, (3) fret the seventh fret on the fifth string and tune the fourth string up from C to D, (4) keep the third string the same at G, (5) (by the way, the top four strings will be the same as in standard tuning EADGBE so the rest should be very familiar to you) fret the fourth fret on the third string and lower the second string from C to B. (6) Leave the first string the same as E. NOW use your tuner to "fine tune" the strings to frequency. (7) LASTLY, use your ear to listen to your tuning -- if something sounds a little off, it probably is (or the crane bell and air horn is TOO LOUD).

I had a few years as the Engineering Officer of the Watch in a 1200psi Steam vessel so my hearing is -- a little off -- ask anyone who hears me sing.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I am corresponding with Fran Guidry and he is a valuable ally in this war against the uncooperative kika. I appreciate your input it is written for da lolo buggas, which I admit that I currently do possess that attribute. I always tune from the top (top of the guitar in the playing position) which is actually the bottom. It's called "dyslexianus kanakus" bass-ackward kanaka.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  5:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for your help CAPT. Mike, you hit it the problem on the head. Now that I'm tuning in the correct direction, bottom - up, I've had no problem. Amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  04:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
If you need help learning to use a new piece of equipment, some ideas might include:

1. Call a music shop that sells the tuner and ask if there's anyone there who knows how to use it in the evening or weekends when you may have time to go in and ask a question or two (with your guitar and tuner in hand). (Even better if that person is from a shop with a strong slack key tie among its instructors.)

2. Read the instruction book carefully. One is always tempted to bypass it.

3. Get in touch with the manufacturer by telephone or by their web site. They may even have a tech support chat option on their site, some do. Other have a toll free number you can call for technical support.

4. Look for a chat board on the manufacturer's web site.

5. Try to join a slack key group in the real world that meets regularly (if such a creature exists) and see if they can help you through your ki ho'alu growing pains.

6. Find a local instructor who teaches ki ho'alu style playing and ask if they can sit down with you some time to get you started.

7. Look into Uncle Dave's upcoming book and see if getting started with slack key on the ukulele is a good beginning!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I've played the uke since keiki times and like I mentioned previously been in contact with Fran Guidry for technical insights. It would be nice to have some tabs or older instruction materials that had made the internet rounds.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000