Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Atta's C
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:13:01 AM  Show Profile
I just got my fresh copy of Cyril's "He`eia" from Auntie Maria: twelve really lovely songs done in his distinctive style. Nine of the twelve are played in Atta's C tuning (C-G-E-G-C-E).

If memory serves, Reid produced a scholarly treatise on this tuning some time back, but I'm darned if I can locate it in any of the archived posts.

Can anyone here recall where to find this post? Reid, do you still have a copy with you or have the Andorrans gotten to it?

Any taropatchers have much experience with this tuning, enough to tell if it offers particular advantages over, say, Drop C or C Wahine? Cyril sure makes it sound pretty.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
That would be Atta's C.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  08:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andy. And thanks, Reid, for sharing the work you did on this tuning.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Awesome work Reid. Wat computer program was da one you wen use fo analyze all da chord forms and make da figgahs? Tanks again eh!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  3:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Brandon-

I agree Reid's work was awesome, including the example applying this tuning to a portion of one of Ozzie's pieces, to illustrate what you get with the new tuning and what you lose. I'd love to see an analysis like that of other tunings.

The chord analysis program is available here on this site by going to the top tool bar, choosing "learn", then choosing "tuning applet" on the menu that appears.

Make up your own tuning and see what happens.

Edited by - mike2jb on 08/15/2007 3:45:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  4:01:34 PM  Show Profile
tanks fo da info!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  12:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for not replying myself, but Sarah and I were far away.

I did a similar, but sketchier, work on C Mauna Loa, (and one on C6 for steel, which is just for my own current interest) but I can't find it now - I'll look.

As I remember, Mark was going to do something like this for a bunch of tunings, but I don't know where that stands. He is a busy guy.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  08:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey Reid,
Welcome back - want to here all about it offline. I'dalso like to see your work on C Mauna Loa
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  08:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Soony Lim taught us the ins and outs of this tuning last February at Aloha Camp. He tunes it down to Bb, which sounds wonderfully rich.

Sonny will be teaching again at this February's Camp.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  4:38:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mike2jb

Nine of the twelve are played in Atta's C tuning (C-G-E-G-C-E).

Let's see. (C-G-E-G-C-E). I'm thinging SLACK KEY here, so how much would you have to 'slack' the 2nd string to get from B to C? Same for getting from D to E on the 4th string. Are we taking liberties with the term 'slack key', using it loosely here? Seems like it is a mixture of slack key and tight key in this case. If we are to believe the traditional stories of how slack key started, that is, how they 'slackened', not tightened, some of the keys of the paniolos' guitars, there seems to be a conflict with this (and some other) tunings.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mike2jb

I agree Reid's work was awesome, including the example applying this tuning to a portion of one of Ozzie's pieces, to illustrate what you get with the new tuning and what you lose.

Funny thing. Ozzie told me a few years ago that Sonny Chillingworth told him that, after he had learned to play every song he knew in Taro Patch, then he should go off and experiment with other tunings. Probably works with Ozzie's pieces, but does it work with Ozzie?
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  6:38:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Sonny will be teaching again at this February's Camp.

For that, I'd almost register twice <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  02:45:48 AM  Show Profile
Bill, you are taking the term "slack key", in terms of *tunings*, too literally. What would you call Keola's C, where the 1st string is tuned to E? Don't tell Keola he isn't playing a slack key tuning. Look at all the tunings that George Winston compiled - I gave the URL to that in another thread.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  02:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Chunk - I'll get to you as soon as I get over jet lag. A preview: the walking was wonderful and just what my Physical Terrorist prescribed.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000