Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Hawaiian Fonts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kau kau,

I have been creating my own charts to learn/play meles. So what's the easiest/cheapest way to down load Hawaiian fonts? I'm an Apple user. Figured out how to get my okinas going the same way, but there are those other "things" e.g. the line over the vowel.

So for those of you in the know, what are my options?

Mahalo

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Genaro,

A Mac has a built in Hawaiian alphabet which includes the `okina and the macron. As long as you're using an Apple program like iLife or TexrEdit, it works great. Go into System Preferences>International and follow the directions. If you try to export your work to something like this forum, it won't translate. For instance, if you type Option+a you will get this å or Å. Your Mac program will type the "a" with the macron.

Great playing at the open mic.

Mahalo,

dog
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  10:52:20 AM  Show Profile
I tink da Hawaiian term fo da long vowel sounds marker is called da kahako (wit one long o) ...

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Yes, kahako with a kahako

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 08/16/2007 12:01:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  1:44:39 PM  Show Profile
'ai'ole "mekona" kekahi hua 'olelo e a'e.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile
No`eau,

Mahalo for the comparative degrees of language and mahalo for the new word.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e GUke,

Hale Kualono offers some free Hawaiian fonts plus a keyboard file at this page: http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/enehana/mac_osxhi.php
You can download the files and an instruction pdf.

The Papa Pihi HI (HI Key Board) is a little file that goes in your Keyboards folder, and the HI fonts appear to be relatives of the common Times, Palatino, Geneva and Courier. I've used them for years, and managed to migrate to OS X with them as well.

The advantage to these fonts is that they seem to be in more common use among Hawaiian language users than some of the other ones -- understandable, since they are free. If you have these fonts on your machine, then when you come across documents/pages using these fonts, they'll display properly.

A couple other sources of Hawaiian fonts (to purchase) are Coconut Info http://www.coconutinfo.com/macosxfonts.html
and Guava Graphics http://guavagraphicshawaii.com/GG_HWPT.html
These are larger collections.

As you've probably noticed, 'okina and kahako won't print on this forum; they come out as a jumble of characters.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
If you're using Word, go to Insert --> Symbols. There are vowels with the kahako on them. And use the apostrophe for the 'okina. I just checked. I've downloaded Hawaiian fonts from somewhere a few years ago, but if you create a shortcut for the vowels with the kahako, it should be easy, like Ctrl+a or Ctrl+A, etc.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000