Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Wahine Ilekea tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  07:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Just wondering if any of you know what tuning Dennis Kamakahi uses for this song. It's in the key of F but am not sure if it is a slack key tuning or not. I hear subtle little clues that make me think it's not standard tuning, but I'm not sure.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  08:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Great song. Depends on what recording you're using as a reference. I am quite sure that Uncle Dennis has recorded Wahine `Ilikea in taro patch (but tuned down to F). He often plays C Mauna Loa tuning too.

In an archived post here, we were talking about taro patch tuning. mental block on wahine 'ilikea

Andy
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile
It might be Taro Patch dropped to F because Sons of Hawaii played tuned down 2 frets.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  09:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Dennis emailed me several months ago and said is was F taropatch tuning - CFCFAC)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Dennis has recorded Wahine Ilikea at least three times. They may not be in the same tuning. I believe the solo version on Pua Ena is in Taropatch G, but I think I read that The Sons Of Hawaii tuned down a whole step, so that version may be in F.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Thanks all. It just doesn't seem to have that low of notes in the version I'm listening to. Can you post mp3s on here? Then you could hear what I'm working with. I'll give the even slacker taropatch F a try and see how that sounds. I did find a link to a Youtube video and he is playing it in t-patch G, but that is not the key he plays it in on the recording I have.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Lucky us; Dennis is part of our taropatch ohana and may chime in here when he's not overwhelmingly busy.
n
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Key of F major, F, Bb, and C7 chords in the song (may hear an F7 in transition). Not sure about the pa'ani chords.

F taropatch tuning with repeating finger pattern during the vocals.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000