Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Question About "Kamalani"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

In the song "Kamalani," I was wondering if her lover's name is Pukaninui with a kahako over the u or Pu'ukaninui. Iz sings it as if it's Pukaninui, while Leilani Rivera Bond sings Pu'ukaninui. Does anyone know?

Mahalo,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  01:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Aloha,

In the song "Kamalani," I was wondering if her lover's name is Pukaninui with a kahako over the u or Pu'ukaninui. Iz sings it as if it's Pukaninui, while Leilani Rivera Bond sings Pu'ukaninui. Does anyone know?

Mahalo,
'Alika

It is Pu`ukaninui. Leilani's father, famed Kaua`i performer/composer Larry Rivera, wrote this song based on the children's story of Pu`ukaninui, a great singer who went visiting the sacred area of Wailua but was cautioned to return before sundown or he would turn into a frog.

Certainly liberties are permitted when singing the Hawaiian language. One of these is eliding common vowel sounds instead of inserting the expected space or glottal stop. You will also hear this when one word ends in a vowel and the next word begins with the same vowel or an `okina followed by the same vowel sound. One example that comes to mind is the second verse of Kaloaloa

Ke kani kapalulu kahi mokulele la, ea ea
O ku`u aloha a`e keia la, ea ea

Most singers will run "aloha" and "a`e" together so that the second "a" disappears altogether. Listeners understand what is being said in context.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I thought that was a song Moon wrote and not Larry Rivera.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile
I thought it was
pu kani nui (with a kahako over the "u" in pu.

That would roughly translate to
you can hear the call of the "large conch shell horn"

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:53:39 PM  Show Profile
We talked about this topic once before at the following: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4978&SearchTerms=kamalani

I believe that the more appropriate meaning in the context of the mele would be the man with a musical voice or something to that effect.

Unless it is more kolohe than we think because pu`u can mean any protuberance of the body, if you get my drift, depending on how nui the protuberance is.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by LovinLK

I thought that was a song Moon wrote and not Larry Rivera.

Nope - 'tis Larry's piece.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  1:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

We talked about this topic once before at the following: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4978&SearchTerms=kamalani

I believe that the more appropriate meaning in the context of the mele would be the man with a musical voice or something to that effect.

Unless it is more kolohe than we think because pu`u can mean any protuberance of the body, if you get my drift, depending on how nui the protuberance is.

Actually, split up, it's pu'ukani nui.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  9:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Other examples are: Kahalu'u pronounced Kahalu with mekona on the u. When two a's are in succession and no okina is present then the two a's are pronouced as one again with an implied kahako. Pua'a pronounced sometimes as pu'a Some of these pronunciations are related to fast conversational speech and not always applied in song. There are no strict grammatical rules that I know of related this.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000