Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Please help me identify these songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  12:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all -- I was watching Uncle Ray Kane's DVD "Kiho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" for about the jillionth time.

There is a song that Diana Aki is singing (and playing `ukulele) and Uncle Ray is playing guitar. I had difficulty making out the words, but I think part of it went..." Uluwehi wehi i ka lau o ka niu" I think the first words in it were: Ua Nana. Does anyone know the name of that mele?

Also, in the part about the Big Island Slack Key Festival, there was a group of folks on stage while a keiki danced hula. I think the ha`ina verse went..."Ha`ina ia mai ana kapuana, Na Pua Lei Ilima e ka la na nei.." Anyone know that song and who the folks were who were singing the music.

Also in the film wearing the milti-toned palaka shirt was Patrick Kahawailoa. Any significance that he was the emcee of the festival?

Mahalo for your kokua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  12:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like it could be "La Elima". Not sure.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  2:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Not La Elima -- that song is about the children of Miloli`i who were trapped in the caves on the 5th of February, many years ago due to a tsunami, and the joy that they were found alive.

Thanks anyway.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  2:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Aloha wcerto! The song is "Na Pua Ka Ilima". It's one of my favorite mele's in open G-Tuning. A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill (Maui, Hawaii)
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  4:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

There is a song that Diana Aki is singing (and playing `ukulele) and Uncle Ray is playing guitar. I had difficulty making out the words, but I think part of it went..." Uluwehi wehi i ka lau o ka niu" I think the first words in it were: Ua Nana. Does anyone know the name of that mele?

The song is "Honaunau Paka" by Rose Peters.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Wanda you no mo He Mele Aloha. page 195 is the song Na Pua Lei Ilima. The song's kaona is about the beauty of Hawaii's children.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  12:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Aloha all -- I was watching Uncle Ray Kane's DVD "Kiho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" for about the jillionth time.

Also, in the part about the Big Island Slack Key Festival, there was a group of folks on stage while a keiki danced hula. I think the ha`ina verse went..."Ha`ina ia mai ana kapuana, Na Pua Lei Ilima e ka la na nei.." Anyone know that song and who the folks were who were singing the music.

Also in the film wearing the milti-toned palaka shirt was Patrick Kahawailoa. Any significance that he was the emcee of the festival?

Mahalo for your kokua.

Can't make out the first one, but the second was "Na Pua Ka 'Ilima," composed by Kaui Zuttermeister, Hoku's great-grandmother.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  01:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Yep, we have the He Mele Aloha, but hard for look up one song when you don't know the title. I really like Diana Aki's singing and `ukulele. I wish there was more of her stuff available. I am excited about the new CD coming out from the Big Island Musicians because she has a song on there.

Thanks for helping me to identify the songs. Anyone know who was singing the "Na Pua Ka `Ilima"?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  03:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Yep, we have the He Mele Aloha, but hard for look up one song when you don't know the title.
I know. It's like trying to use a dictionary to figure out how to spell a word.

quote:
Thanks for helping me to identify the songs. Anyone know who was singing the "Na Pua Ka `Ilima"?

The thing you find about many of these festivals - especially on the outer islands - is that the performers aren't always necessarily professionals with recording credits. Most are amazing and probably should be on CD but sadly aren't. I had never heard before the group that performed "Na Pua Ka `Ilima" on this DVD.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  06:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria has a list of songs and artists from the DVD on her website.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Why you guys keep saying 'na pua ka 'ilima'? It is 'na pua LEI 'ilima' even if one word wrong it going be all wrong.

Edited by - noeau on 08/27/2007 11:06:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  12:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Why you guys keep saying 'na pua ka 'ilima'? It is 'na pua LEI 'ilima' even if one word wrong it going be all wrong.

I've seen both titles listed on various recordings. I usually say "Na Pua Ka 'Ilima," as that's how it's written in the Learn Hawaiian at Home book by Kahikahealani Wight.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 08/27/2007 12:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

A song's title is not the same as a song's lyric content. I have seen the title both ways, but it is sung "na pua lei `ilima."

Some artists I believe we trust with their Hawaiian lyrics and research who have listed the title as "Na Pua Ka `Ilima" on their recordings include Linda Dela Cruz, Leinaala Haili, The Ho`opi`i Brothers, The Lim Family, the Makaha Sons, and the Peter Moon Band.

And after WDF identified that Auntie Maria had a track listing at mele.com, we now know that the Keli'iho`omalu `ohana performed this beauty. With the artist identified, I was able to find a recording in my collection of the late Auntie G-Girl Keli`iho`omalu performing this with her family. The recording was entitled "Aloha Kaimu" and dates back to 1990.

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  3:13:39 PM  Show Profile
I may defer to you guys but Linda Dela Cruz as a Halekulani girl had a recording where it was Na Pua Lei 'Ilima. The other experts Puakea Nogelmeir et al list as Na Pua Lei 'Ilima. I don't really care but if you asked me to play Na Pua Ka 'Ilima I wouldn't know what to play. After all the song is about a lei made of ilima blossoms not about the ilima blossom. As I mentioned earlier it was a song about children and children were often described as a lei since they would hang with their arms around a grown ups neck like a lei. These lei are ilima as far as the song goes.
Just an opinion. If you kindly check around, many recording artists perpetuated mistakes in the language as well. Although some songs might have acquired more than one name I don't know why this one would. Na is the article 'the' in plural form ka is the article 'the' in singular so you see why I say if a word is changed it makes the sentence 'ano pono 'ole. How can we have The Blossoms The 'Ilima? So you see no make sense for shift tense ea?

Edited by - noeau on 08/27/2007 8:54:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000