Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Mandolin Tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  2:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Aquila offers a "Fifths" set of strings, A-D-low G-middle C (1st through 4th strings, respectively, as Mr. Peruffo at Aquila corrected me), with the two lowest, wound.

I looked at some chord diagrams for this tuning. It appears that chords would be plucked in many cases, sometimes using only two strings, and not strummed across all four strings. Is this correct?

This is another re-entrant tuning, but with different intervals between successive string's open tuning notes. Low G to C is three whole tones, while middle C to G is four whole tones.

Is the mandolin tuning, given its chord structures, intended more for finger picking styles of play? With middle C pushed aside, it appears that the tuning is designed to encourage use of a scale down to low G, with low G to C# on the third (six frets), D to G on the second (five frets), and the A string range on the first limited by the number of frets on your ukulele.

With Low G tuning, the ukulele's range would be the same, and the notes would be arranged with four frets on the fourth, three frets on the third, four frets on the second, and the A string range again limited only by the number of frets (to produce a basic scale across the instrument's range).

Unless you want to learn to play the mandolin on a $20.00 ukulele before taking the plunge and buying a quality mandolin, what is the advantage of mandolin tuning on a ukulele?

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/11/2007 3:08:06 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000