Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A Personal Message from 'Alika
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  2:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai kakou,

I just thought I'd give you all this message.

I just got an e-mail from Sharlene Oshiro earlier saying that she thinks I should have some more training in the ha'i style before singing "'Alika" on stage with Hoku Zuttermeister at the Makaha Sons concert in New Hampshire because he has been doing it since the beginning of his career. She went on to say that she understands how much of a challenge it is to sing ha'i after being trained in classical and opera music for so long.

I do believe she was right. Ha'i is not my specialty, and I'm not that great at it compared to some of the other artists I know and love like Raiatea, Auntie Genoa, etc, and that's okay. I'm glad I had the oppurtunity to record it.

I wrote back to her saying that my feelings were not hurt at all. I would like to say mahalo to Sharlene and her associates for listening to my recording and being honest with me about their feelings about it. I will keep singing, playing the piano, and appreciating not just Hawaiian music but all types of music. Who knows, but maybe when I get a little older, I'll listen back at my recording of "'Alika and say, "OK, this is a part that I need to work on" and work on it.

I also wanted to say mahalo nui loa to everybody from taropatch and elsewhere for their support and aloha. Mahalo for all your kind e-mails.

If anybody else on this board would like to hear my recording of this song that I sent to Sharlene and her associates, please e-mail me through taropatch or reply online here, and I'll be happy to send you a file of me singing it. I hope you enjoy it.

Aloha no, a hui hou,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Your hard work shows in that recording. Sounds good.
Maybe you should learn the uke so you can accompany yourself on that song. It would be the perfect addition.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I think 'ukulele would be fun to learn, but the reason that I haven't done it yet is because I don't know of anyone from this area of the US who plays one and could teach me some chords! Oh well.

My friend who comes over sometimes always brings her guitar, and we kanikapila with her on guitar and me on vocals/piano all the time. I asked her to show me some guitar chords, and I thought it was hard. It does take some getting used to, doesn't it? Everybody says that 'ukulele is easier because it only has four strings on it. I've also heard that playing guitar hurts your fingers. Is this pololei?

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  02:47:35 AM  Show Profile
As I told you in private, with the exception of a few short sections I thought your pitch was very good. I wonder if vibrato fading in at the end of the long notes would have made a difference to them.
Well, it was a good try anyway. If you don't take any risks you will never get anywhere, so, I applaude you.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  05:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think the uke is fairly easy once you teach your fingers a few shapes to play. With five chords--G,C,D,A,F--you can play in three keys and cover most of the songs you want to try. Those five chords can be played in first position, so you hand doesn't move much. The uke's usefulness is the rhythm you can lay down with your right hand that makes Hawaiian music sound so good.
And yes, the guitar hurts your fingers for awhile until you get callouses.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  05:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I think you are talented and did an excellent job with Alika. Continue to work hard and study and you will succeed. I never heard Alika acapella before..........impressive.

Please continue to learn to play Hawaiian music on the piano. There aren't very many people left that play that instrument Hawaiian style. Try to find recordings of Hawaiian musicians that played piano. You will be suprised and amazed at the rythyms they created.

The ukulele is fun but like any instrument requires practice to learn. The guitar is an acquired taste. My fingers hurt unless I practice daily and get used to fingering and picking (I play at least 30 minutes a day now). I play both instruments and I am pleased with the sound and playability of both of them. The ukulele is easiest to transport and that is why I learned it initially. Now, I can't imagine singing certain songs without my uke. You have to find your own comfort zone as far as which instrument is better.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by kaniala5

I think you are talented and did an excellent job with Alika. Continue to work hard and study and you will succeed. I never heard Alika acapella before..........impressive.

Please continue to learn to play Hawaiian music on the piano. There aren't very many people left that play that instrument Hawaiian style. Try to find recordings of Hawaiian musicians that played piano. You will be suprised and amazed at the rythyms they created.

The ukulele is fun but like any instrument requires practice to learn. The guitar is an acquired taste. My fingers hurt unless I practice daily and get used to fingering and picking (I play at least 30 minutes a day now). I play both instruments and I am pleased with the sound and playability of both of them. The ukulele is easiest to transport and that is why I learned it initially. Now, I can't imagine singing certain songs without my uke. You have to find your own comfort zone as far as which instrument is better.

As far as piano goes, I love Ata Damasco and Aaron Sala. I keep in touch with both of them by e-mail.

A little off subject, but related to the piano topic. I can play some hapa haole songs, some Keali'i Reichel, and some Iz, like "Kaleohano." I picked up the Iz songs and the Keali'i Reichel songs by ear. Did I tell you guys that I have perfect pitch? Even so, I do not consider myself an avid improvizer like Aaron or Ata. I'm working on improvization in my lessons from time to time though.

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000