Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Players & Listeners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  07:29:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin:

If you're playing a cocktail hour, aren't you expected to be on different airplanes? That is, . . . you're background music . . . .

A musician friend of ours calls this being "musical wallpaper." Another musician friend calls it "paid rehearsal."
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I think there are different types of listeners also. I am effervesent. Maybe a little to much at times I really get wrapped up in the moment and clap a lot and to the embarasment of those around me am the first to shout for more. I also can sit very quite and get very misty eyed and not be able to respond at the end of a song that brings back a deep memory. The Music has become part of me.
On the other hand my husban (who is a TRUE music lover) is a VERY quiet reserved man. He will sit very still and listen absorbing the music often expressing nothing but allowing the music to flow over him. Often I have to remind him to clap. It is not that he does not apreciate the music. He LOVES it it is just that he is in another world and forgets to comeback.
So allthough people may not have shown the appreciation that you expected there may have been some that you affected with your songs.
Sometimes we listen with our Hearts and souls and the music becomes part of our very being.
I am sure everyone here has a song that when they hear the first few notes they are instantly returned to another time and place. At least I do!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  10:10:58 AM  Show Profile
As to what to play:

When I'm playing a gig, I typically have 3 or 4 songs set up that I play to start things off. Typically medium tempo, good feeling stuff -- mostly to help me "ease" into the evening. At the same time, I'm paying attention to the "audience" reaction. Next songs tend to be in the style I got the most reaction. I do try to vary the tempo, style, etc every 2nd or 3rd song.
Playing at a restaurant, I get 2 or 3 "audiences" a night, so the style of music that gets the best reaction may change as the clientele changes. Weddings tend towards the "romantic" and easily recognizable pieces.

If I have a "dead" audience, I just make sure I'm listening to myself, and I play things that I want to hear. At the same time, I'm making eye contact with the audience -- without eye contact the tips usually are half as much.

At open mic, I would play the 2 or 3 songs I most want to play that evening - most often my new stuff - partly to watch audience reaction, partly 'cause I like to play new material at open mic.

I almost never play for an individual or two, except for friends who come for dinner -- and their I play the music that "means" most to me.

For my son -- well, lullabies and music with a definite beat, but that's not really what you're talking about.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
E aloha no,

I think Noeau has some really good mana`o on this.

I didn't check to see how much experience you have playing for an audience, so this may be old news to you.

Knowing how to pick out what song(s) to open with really, to me, is a matter experience. You just have to try lots of different things and see how different audiences respond. Eventually you will develop a "feel" for how to open for a particular audience.

I think it is harder in an "open" venue such as a bar or a party where prople come from many different places. In a controlled venue, such as a theater with pre-sold tickets, people are there for a pretty common purpose, so your opening will reflect that purpose.

In the weekly Hawai`iana show I work with, Bob Alder (excellent organist) opens with hapa-haole music and segues to more traditional `auana numbers.

If you have a primarily non-Hawaiian-music-literate audience, that might be a good formula. I know George Kahumoku has suggested it for such situations.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Leilehua:
I am not playing out yet but I have started playing for friends & family. I do think I will eventually play out and so I am asking about my observations now.
I have had playing experience in my mid 20's to late 30's but never solo.

Starting with hapa haole seems like a good idea.
And Raymond, I like your approach to deciding what to play.

If I am asked to play after showing my guitar tomorrow I am going to play Haleiwa Blues by Arlo Guthrie.
I though of two real good reasons.
1)It is in drop D so if my biz-friend plays and wants to try the guitar, all I have to do is raise the 6th string.
2)Arlo is a name he is likely to be very familiar with and the song does have a lot of slack key elements.

I knew if I asked, I would get suggestions and make a better decision.

Thanks to all

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Family, friends, and acquaintances tend to be the toughest audiences by far, in my experience. At least in part, I think, because the context is not oriented toward appreciating art.

Have you seen the article about the violin virtuoso playing in the DC subway?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile
It's been my observation that if you can cause a person to laugh, cry, sing along or dance, they will have enjoyed your performance. I try not to rely on too many tear-jerkers, it's hard on the digestion. Especially mine! But it's tough when the best gags go un noticed in a coffee shop full of chess players/ newspaper readers. Maybe I should try to load the audience with friends who know when to laugh? Sing alongs take a certain rapore with the audience. Not everyone will join in with a stranger, even if he /she does have a mic and guitar. Honoring requests when ever possible helps. I try to do requests as a matter of a thank you to someone who must feel I didn't ruin their favorite song last time they heard me. After all, they asked for it again. Be wary of bags dripping tomato juice. For a starter, I rely on something very familiar, and usually upbeat. Get their attention early, then bite in and hold on! I agree with the concept of one person really listening makes an audience. Try to make eye contact elsewhere, but play to the few who respond. They'll tell their friends. And it just might be they are receptive because they feel a need for something you're doing. If one person recieves what you send, it worked.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000