Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Interested in Hawaiian Books?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Kakou,

For folks that have an interest in great Hawaiian literature check out

http://www.awaiaulu.org/index.html

I was just visiting with my friend Puakea Nogelmeier who told me this book will be available soon. There is quite a buzz about the newest release "Ka Mo‘olelo O Hi‘iakaikapoliopele" ..."The Epic Tale Of Hi‘iakaikapoliopele". As always, I trust Puakea, this will be a great book. I saw some of the "product" and it is a lovely keepsake. They even have some really high end options for those who are collectors. I know some of you will want to know about this, if you don't already. But, heads up to those who haven't heard about it yet. Good reading all!

Aloha,

Ray

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Ray. Good stuff.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  5:16:09 PM  Show Profile
I am one of those who ponied up for the collectors set (the cheaper one - my Christmas present from last year...) I received my copy on Saturday - it is spectacular! Huge, and heavy, too - I think that even the paperbacks will be substantial. I highly recommend that anyone who has the slightest interest in Hawaiian culture purchase a copy. It is a 2 volume set with one volume in English and one in Hawaiian, with the English translation provided by Puakea Nogelmeier from the story as told in serial form by Ho`oulumahiehie in the newspaper Ka Na`i Aupuni.

The Hawaiian version is, alas, far beyond me, but the English version is a delight to read, maintaining the language style of the period (early 20th century). There are wonderful indexes in the back, referencing the pages where various places, winds, rains, animals, plants and chants can be found within the body of the work - very user friendly! The artwork is beautiful; there are occassional explanatory notes in the margins which are quite helpful; and the story itself is great reading.

I very much hope that we will see more offerings like this from Awaiaulu (and there is info on their website about how folks can donate funds to help support their work)

Native Books Hawai`i is taking advance orders: http://nativebookshawaii.com/shop/pages.php?article_id=15 I have purchased from them many times and recommend them highly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000