Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 learning slack key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile
howzit everybody!

i finally was able fo get a copy of Ozzie's book ... I'm working my way through um now. I love it. Any suggestions, opinions, on wea to go from hea, once I get through dis one? I really like da amount of songs (an price) of Mika`ele's Slack Key Workbook, but like I wen post in da books section ... I dunno how hard dat stuff is. I no like get someting dass waay too hard fo me right now.

Anyone run into pilikia wit bussing strings by changing tunings all da time o wat?

tanks eh!

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
You made the right choice -- Ozzie's book is a great place to start.

I'd suggest you stick with it until you can play everything he presents with a minimu of mistakes and up to speed. How long will that take? That's up to you.

quote:
Any suggestions, opinions, on wea to go from hea, once I get through dis one?

It is an all too common mistake among beginners to want to try to grab new books, new tunings and new tab before they are ready. Master the basics first -- then ask your question again in a coulple months.

quote:
Anyone run into pilikia wit bussing strings by changing tunings all da time o wat?

Breaking strings is part of playing a stringed instrument, sorry. Old strings break because they've been stressed too many times. Keep 'em fresh and they won't break on you when you move 'em up or down.

All things being equal, if you break a string when tuning, it's proabably time to change the whole set.

If you break a new string... particularly if it happens repeatedly to the same string, it might be time to get the guitar to the shop.

Glad to hear you've joined the slack side. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Think about trying Ozzies new CD too.
I realy like it. It covers the same songs in the book but you can watch him play the songs. He also shows how to go beyond the basic songs too. The improvising lessons that follow each basic lesson might be too much right now, but at least you will see one main point of slack key and it will be on your mind after that. The point is to play it your way.

Start out note for note (like me), but change it if you start hearing something better inside your head--even if it is just one thing.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  03:34:32 AM  Show Profile
"Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key" by Mark Hanson has a nice selection of pieces very nicely presented, some easier/harder than others, but the popularity of the pieces makes it a great addition to your library. It also has a cd with it. You can read about it here: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  03:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Keola Beamer Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar is also a good follow up. There are two taro patch songs and then some in F and C Wahine tunings.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I would recommend Ron Loo's Slack Key Notebooks as the ideal followup to Ozzie's book. They allow for a much smoother transition with respect to skill level than the others.

http://www.ronloo.com

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/27/2007 06:10:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  06:47:43 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Craig that Ron Loo's books are a really good complement to Ozzie's. They are beginner/intermediate level, and are very clearly presented. They are now sold with CDs, not tapes. You can read about them here:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000