Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Wound Third vs. Plain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  12:43:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kamaka tenor strung with a wound third. I
m getting ready to change strings on it for the first time. Has anyone used a tenor set without a wound third, and what do you like or dont' like about it.

Thanks for your input.

--Mark

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile
I prefer non-wound third. I think they blend together better when they are all unwound.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  7:02:56 PM  Show Profile
I also prefer all non-wound strings. I find that wound strings tend to have more sustain and can dominate over the other strings.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  04:39:54 AM  Show Profile
I no like da wound strings too. I had wound C & G on my Pono Tenor, den wen change um out fo da unwound Ko`olau Golds. (hi-g) I love um. I no like da way da wound strings ring mo den da unwound ones an how da ting squeaks wen i run my fingah ontop um.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I appreciate them! I was thinking of trying the Ko'olau Gold non-wound package. I played Jake Shimabukuro's uke a while back and I liked the feel of the the non-wound set. I know he has a new signature set out by D'Addario, has anyone tried them? Thanks!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Is there such a thing an unwound low G set? Anybody Know? Please share. This is for Tenor 'uke by the way.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  10:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Worth strings have an unwound G. Depending on the scale length of your tenor, it might seem a little floppy though (IMO)
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  10:16:06 AM  Show Profile
I tink Worth makes a unwound low g string.

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  10:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, all for your suggestions. I tried da joka's recommendations regarding the Ko'olau golds (hi-g) and I love them. They've really opened up the sound. I also picked up the new set Jake is endorsing for D'Addario and I'll let you know what I think of them when I change strings next.

Peace.
--Mark
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  07:18:56 AM  Show Profile
glad you liked da ko`olau golds! I love um too. No can wait fo hea how da Jake strings is. Maybe you gotta buy one mo ukulele fo try um out on eh? ha ha ha ... i bet da ko`olau's goin last you long time asswhy :-)

shootz!

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I know how you guys feel about your strings. I have a 'uke where I was experimenting with various string combos. The sound was ok. When I tried using a smooth nylon in low G it was to loose and funny sounding. Today I restrung with an Aquila set low G for tenor and the combination in one pure set was perfect for my 'uke. String preference is a very personal thing. Many brands sound good but the choice of best is still just what anyone really like on their axe. So for me after trying different things I like what I got and as an alternate for some ereason I like Hilo low G too. Except for the fact that the wound strings show fret wear sooner than other brands. I really prefer low G and if the Jake strings sound good maybe I'll try them out on another 'uke. So if anyone tries out the jake set let us know.
Mahalo

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000