Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tacoma vs. Taylor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  9:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't know piff...it's kind of hard to accidentally misspell the same word the same way all four times you use it.

I'm also sory about your dogs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/21/2003 10:39:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  10:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha piffle,

I've visited your site in the past. I'm so sorry you lost your three very good friends. They were pretty special dogs.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  12:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo to everyone for the input......

My teacher...Patrick Landeza has offered to come along when I'm ready to get my next guitar so I might take him up on his offer.

I've also seen some great guitars on EBAY, especially some KOA ones. I'm tracking some now to see what kind of prices these guys are getting for them.

THANKS again to everyone that responded.........

Aloha,
Joey
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  8:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha:

"...compliments the slack key sound."? What is the "slack key sound"? I believe every player has their own sound. Choice of guitar usually doesn't have all that much to do with it. I've been playing for longer than I like to admit...been through a lot of guitars, and have a ton of 'em at home now. Each one sounds different...not necessarily better or worse...just different. The same guitar will sound different in the hands of a friend, from when I play it. There ain't no holy grail guitar (I looked...it ain't there). What there is out there are a lot of guitar manufacturers making a lot of different models, and it comes down to your personal taste...how it sounds, feels, and looks. The bottom line is if you like your guitar, you are going to play it more, and in the process (hopefully) become a better player.

I own "vintage" guitars (Martin, Gibson, Guild, etc.), and I also have some recent "high-end" guitars (Santa Cruz, Taylor, etc.). Wanna know what guitar I've been playing the most in the last 3-4 years? I bought it brand new for my wife (well, back then she was my girlfriend) when she was taking lessons from Auntie Alice Namakelua. It's a mid-70's Takamine (pre-lawsuit) OO-sized 6-string, with laminated mahogany sides and back, and a solid spruce top. It's my "experimental" guitar. I shaved the braces on it sometime in the 80's and that really opened up the sound. I've tried a number of different pickups in it, and it has holes in the side where I've installed and removed preamps. It's the only guitar I never keep in a case, it's just leaning against the wall or the sofa, always convenient to just pick up and play whenever the inspiration strikes. I wouldn't slit my wrists if it got stolen, or smashed, or chewed on by my dog Eric.

My advice is to get what you like...what sounds, plays, and looks good...to you. Don't be swayed by advertising, or what name brand is supposed to be the current cool thing to buy. Follow your own ears, eyes, and heart and it should be ok.

play on,
kamalu

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by kamalu70

There ain't no holy grail guitar (I looked...it ain't there).
What?! Say it isn't so. The holy grail guitar is the one I can pick up with my meager talent and no matter what I do it sounds like an angel playing. It's the one that coaxes the dreams of my heart out of my fingers and into the strings and allows them to resonate in the hearts of others. It's the one whose sound envelopes your every sense and invigorates your soul like the breath of God.

I know it exists, because I've played it many times in various unconscious states.

I have a dream. (With apologies to MLK.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/29/2003 10:18:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Kamalu,
Way off topic, but gotta ask.
Your dog is named Eric? is your dog red, as in "Eric the Red"?
Named after a friend? enquiring minds you know! Is there a story here?

Ross
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
It's so funny to see this discussion contain almost all my students including Joey!! You know what my answer will be Joey because of my relationship with Tacoma.. (but before Tacoma I had 3 Taylors!!!) Tacoma's high end stuff are good....have fun shoppping!!!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  7:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Ross,

At our house, Eric is also known as the "wonder dog" cause we always wonder what kind of dog he is. Looks to be part airdale but we don't know what else. He is the epitome of the "poi dog." We know he was a former pig hunting dog who likely got lost and wandered out of the forrest into our yard a few days after Christmas almost 10 years ago. At the time he was the ugliest, smelliest dog you could imagine and my guess is that he was abused by his former owner. He wouldn't let us approach him but he wouldn't go away either. Of course my kids insisted that we keep him, and after about a month he slowly started to become domesticated. Now, he is a wonderful part of the family and a happy ol' guy in the twilight of his years. He even inspired me to write a kiho`alu piece entitled "Kua Road Slack Key". Kua Rd. is the main country road going up the valley where we live, and Eric and I always take walks on it. Oh yeah, my youngest daughter gave him the name. She was in preshcool at the time, and she said he reminded her of a classmate of hers named Eric....must have been some ugly kid (ha!).

thanks for asking,
kamalu
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000