Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hula 'O Makee
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Candy
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  8:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Looking for the mele, Hula 'O Makee. Unable to find anything online and I feel confident that someone from Taropatch will be able to steer me toward the CD. This would be a mele from the 1950's [or thereabouts]. Thank you for your kokua!

A hui hou,
Candy

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  01:57:13 AM  Show Profile
So may people have done that mele. Sonny Chillingworth, Hui `Ohana, Clyde "Kindy" Sproat. Try search www.mele.com for the title of the mele and you can fiind so many CDs with that song.

I especially like the story that Clyde Sproat tells about the song and how it came to be written.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  05:04:05 AM  Show Profile
The 4 I happen to have are:
Cyril Pahinui - "masters of Slack Key Guitar #1"
Hui 'Ohana - "Young Hawai`i plays Old Hawai`i"
Keola Beamer - "Island Born"
Ray Kane & Yuki Alani Yamauchi - Holo Holo Slack Key
Enjoy,
n
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  05:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I like the version on the last `Ale`a CD, with Makana playing slack key guitar.

sound clip

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  07:52:26 AM  Show Profile
And if you need lyrics and translation:
http://www.huapala.org/Hula/Hula_O_Makee.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile
There is tab for it in the Mark Nelson & Keola Beamer book, Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar. There is, also, tab on Mark's website Marks site.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  08:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
And if you noodle around with the chords in "He Mele Aloha" the song sort of appears by magic.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Peter Moon has it on his instructional VHS "Magic of the Ukulle." And quite well done, of course.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  3:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Much better than my spelling of ukulele. It took a great deal of self-discipline to not burn my ukuleles after listening and watching him play it.

(Some say too much discipline, which is odd in my case, was part of my problem. )

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:41:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
This would be a mele from the 1950's [or thereabouts].

By this I gather you would prefer that the arrangement & style of the music to be similar to what would have been done in 1950. The mele itself is much older than that I think. A version by Gabby Pahinui would be good as he was most popular during the Fifties (until he was re-discovered in the Seventies). His son Cyril does a very traditional version, except for a little extra "swing", AND this recording is on Cyril's next to newest recording titled: Ka Ho`oilina Mau

You can (of course), play samples and get it from:

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/cyril+pahinui/ka+ho%60oilina+mau/

(Our own Auntie Maria)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
When Genoa Keawe sings this it is a show stopper. This is an old Hula Ku‘i song and is in the category of very old. As with a lot of old folk songs it is hard to get an accurate date for composition, but the melody and arrangement of Hula o Makee is shared with at least one other song Ta Maoli, which was published prior to 1900. This was a common practice back then.

When we look at the text for Hula o Makee it is quite apparent that this is another song about love gone astray. The inter-island vessel Makee was a metaphor for a woman who had moved on from one relationship to another. The actual vessel was named in honor a of Capt. James Makee who in addition to being a ships captain was one of King Kalakaua's poker partners. Makee died in 1879, I think that the lyrical content places this no earlier than the middle of Kalakaua's reign.

For those of you wondering when I will be publishing my two texts on slack key they are near completion and I am still trying to get them out this fall. Unfortunately, I will not be able to work on them this month because of jury duty, so if you email me and I don't respond its because of the time constraints that I am facing between family, school and the jury duty.

PM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  11:00:52 AM  Show Profile
What Peter said ties in very closely to Kindy Sproat's story on his live recording, although he reports it more literal than metaphorical. Sometimes the stories behind the mele are as interesting as the mele themselves.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 10/13/2007 11:01:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The Island Music Source Book lists nearly thirty recordings (I haven't checked carefully for duplicates), including Gabby's on the brown album and a Cyril-Brozman duet (on Four Hands Sweet and Hot), plus Uncle Ray's on Punahele.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000