Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Herb Ohta Jr. and Nathan Aweau - west coast tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Susie Kagami
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susie Kagami's Homepage
With Hawaiian roots and bit of R&B and smooth Jazz (Nathan won the Na Hoku for best Jazz Album for his solo release 'Bass Etude'), we are so excited to bring Nathan and Herb on stage together!!! Come join us and help us give Nathan a huge welcome on his is first ever mainland solo tour.

Bass, Vocals,and Ukulele on stage together for the first time ever. These two are such incredible artists and amazing people that I wanted to share their aloha spirit and their unique sound with as many as I could. Both are celebrating the release of solo CD projects as mentioned in the press release below.

It is always so fantastic to see taro patchers at these events. Thanks Andy for keeping this forum alive and thanks to all of you for your continued support of all Hawaiian music! Also HUGE thanks to Doug Katsumoto, Gregg Porter, the Gota and Kai family for all their support and aloha!

Mahalo and hope to see you there!
Susie

PRESS RELEASE

SAN FRANCISCO (October 5, 2007) – `Ukulele master and international recording artist Herb Ohta, Jr., and three-time award-winning vocalist of the year, Nathan Aweau, embark on a five-city West Coast tour to celebrate the release of their latest CD projects. Herb and Nathan bring to the stage an eclectic medley of their own originals and traditional Hawaiian standards influenced by their love of Hawai`i, world music and contemporary jazz. The tour, presented by Hawaii Music Live, begins on November 6 in Seattle, WA, and will then proceed south to Hayward, Sacramento, Carlsbad and Watsonville, CA. To help bring the songs to life, each show will feature local hula dancers. For tickets and more information, visit www.HawaiiMusicLive.com.

Herb Ohta, Jr., is considered to be one of today’s most prolific `ukulele masters. Influenced by Jazz, R&B, Latin and Brazilian music, he puts his stamp on Hawaiian music by pushing the limits of tone and technique on this beautiful instrument. The son of `ukulele legend "Ohta-san," he started playing at the age of three, and now has a goal to share the music of Hawai`i and the beauty of the instrument with people around the world, performing and conducting instructional workshops. This six-time Na Hoku Hanohano Award nominee (Hawaiian equivalent to the Grammy) and two-time Hawai`i Music Award winner effortlessly translates the beauty and culture of Hawai`i through his creative expression of music. With over 15 solo and duet albums in circulation, and performances on more than 40 recordings, he is well on his way to matching his father’s legacy. His latest release, `Ukulele Journey, hit stores and iTunes this fall, and features original compositions as well as arrangements of Hawaiian standards. Guest artists include some of Hawai`i’s top musicians, including Louis “Moon” Kauakahi of Mahaka Sons, Barry Flanagan and Nathan Aweau of Hapa, and slack-key legend Ledward Kaapana. For more information, visit www.HerbOhtaJr.com.

Nathan Aweau, most recognized today as part of an internationally-renowned, multi-award winning Hawaiian music duo, has found success as a solo artist as well, receiving three Ha Hoku Hanohano Awards for 'Male Vocalist of the Year.’ Having arranged songs and played bass for Don Ho for over 15 years, Nathan brings an extraordinary talent and love for Hawaiian music to the stage and to his recordings. Able to play multiple instruments, his musical influences began early, as his mother taught piano and his father taught choir. His seven-string electric bass guitar is now his instrument of choice as he tours around the world. Winning multiple awards for his Hawai`i Classic Series, he gained exceptional recognition for his third disc, E Apo Mai, which won Na Hoku Hanohano Awards for ‘Male Vocalist of the Year,’ ‘Song of the Year’ and ‘Album of the Year’ in 2003. His love for contemporary jazz and Hawaiian standards is complimented by his amazing vocals in many of his own compositions on his fourth solo CD, Ko'olau, due out this November. For more information, visit www.NathanAweau.org.

CONCERT LOCATIONS:
SEATTLE, WA – Tue., Nov. 6, 7:30 pm, The Triple Door.
Tickets: www.TheTripleDoor.net 206-838-4333

HAYWARD, CA – Thu., Nov. 8, 8:00 pm, Campus Theatre, California State University, East Bay
Tickets: www.HawaiiMusicLive.tix.com or 800-595-4849 or
L&L Barbecue, Hayward, Ca 510.782.0880 or
Nikkei Traditions, San Jose,Ca 408.297.7554

SACRAMENTO, CA – Fri. Nov. 9, 8:00 pm, The Pavilion in Elk Grove
Advanced purchase only!
Tickets: Hawaiian Style Grill, Elk Grove, CA or call 415-452-8720

CARLSBAD, CA – Sun., Nov. 11, 5:00 pm, Carlsbad Village Theatre
Tickets: 310-339-7205 (see above)

WATSONVILLE, CA – Mon., Nov. 12, 7:30 pm, Henry J. Mello Center for the Performing Arts
Tickets: www.HawaiiMusicLive.tix.com or 800-595-4849 or
Aloha Island Grille, Santa Cruz, CA 831.479.3299

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  7:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Great concert tonight in Carlsbad. Both Nathan and Herb were fantastic, and they were great together. The hula dancers were amazing and a made a drizzly Southern California evening seem like a night in Honolulu. Great crowd, too. The ipus were haunted though!

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  06:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Glen,
You should join us on Tuesday nights at Kaisen's Restaurant in Oceanside for some Slack Key. Several of our regular players for the weekly Open Mic were up in the first three rows -- we even had Doug Katsumoto play is D-VI ukulele for us last week.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Herb and Nathan for a fantastic show, and to Susie and Doug for making it happen.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000